Which one is the best engine for C30 ?

Sep 4, 2009
Catalina 30-1978 Avalon, CA
Atomic 4 - 5411 - M25 or M25XP ?????

I don't mean which one is the stronger but instead i am asking that which one of these ones gives the least amount of headache to their skippers?

Which one/s are the most problematic ones between those.

And after all pros and cons imagine this.
If your engine craps out and if I offer you a free engine from the above list for your boat, which one you'll ask for?

Thanks,

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have an A-4. 'it's a good engine. It's very old. It's gas. It's raw water cooled. The 5411 is (usually) raw water cooled to.

But I'd say the M25 or M25XP is a far better choice. Diesel and much newer. Age of boat will determine what engine, really. I

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The advent of small diesels in production boats was a great thing. Beta Marine even makes a diesel replacement for the Atomic 4. I love gasoline engines and have an old gasoline Jd tractor but would not want a gas engine in a boat.

Jul 30, 2014
catalina 30 mkII Tall Rig bay city
M25XP Is quite the work horse. I cruise at 2k RPM's without the engine even working hard.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
M25XP has been very dependable for me. 2 small issues in 9 years of ownership and both my fault. It's easy to maintain. Has some nice features like the fuel air bleed valve and most of the (non-marinized) parts can be bought at a local Kubota Tractor dealership for literally half the price.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
What does the "B" signify??
How do I know if I have one?
I do not know what it stands for but I believe there are either XPA's or XPB's. The B being the newer and latest version. I think they started production late 1990's or 2000. I do know there have been some upgrades with the "B" and parts are readily available.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What does the "B" signify??
How do I know if I have one?
The XPB is a different engine than the XP. There should be a label on your engine stating what it is. You could also try calling Catalina Yachts and asking them what they put in your hull, since I doubt any PO repowered with an inboard engine on your Catalina 25. Good luck.

Last edited: