Which GPS for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Schmehl

I am trying figue out which GPS unit is best for use with a laptop PC. The PC is a p450 and i have MAPTECH software. I am trying to connect GPS (hand held if possible) to use as a Chartplotter. Any ideas?? Thanks, Rob

M

Miles

Garmin is nice

If you're going to do your charting on the PC you don't really need a super highend charting GPS. Just one that has a NMEA connection so it can feed your position to the PC. I think almost all of them do have a NMEA interface. The Garmin 12 or 48 are both nice units. There are other ones that have charts built in like the Garmin 175 but they are a lot more $$ and the charts on your PC will look better anyway... You'll need the optional data connection cable so you can hook it to your laptop. Some of the cables also have power leads so you can run the GPS off your house bank instead of AA batteries (they don't last very long) Have fun!

E

Ed Schenck

Curious about your setup.

Where will you keep this relatively expensive and sensitive "chartplotter"? I ask because I am trying to make a similar decision. If I use my laptop then do I have to keep it and my Garmin 12XL together at the nav table? I am used to having it at the helm where it is plugged into a remote antenna and the house batteries. But if I buy a chartplotter then I have two GPS's. Is there a repeater for the laptop, a cheap display to place at the helm? As usual these questions are because of lack of $$$. Many are asking why not both?

M

Miles

Laptops

I've found the laptop works best at the dock or at anchor. I've got a 12 volt cord for it and a cable for my cell phone so I can web/email anywhere with cell service. Hooking up the GPS is easy but you're right it is a sensitive and expensive chart plotter that could go flying across the cabin someday. A built in dedicated chartplotter is probably better, then you can save the laptop for gee-whiz playing around. The charting software on the laptop (Capn First Mate in this case) is pretty nice for route planning and full color is much nicer than B/W on a chartplotter. Of course you can get color chartplotters too...$$$$

S

SteveC

I currently have a Garmin 12XL.....

hooked up to my PC with maptec....... Works great.... and the 12XL is relatively inexpensive...

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Chart plotter stuff

Some thoughts - I have a Garmin 12xl that I connect to my laptop with the data cable. I use nobeltech software, but that doesn't much matter to this discussion. I have a small boat - 25 feet - and the cockpit can get wet, so I don't use the laptop topside underway. I do use it at home and on the hook for planning purposes. I find that I don't miss the chartplotter at the helm. My thought on the subject is that if you close enough to anything that you would be threading the needle looking at the display underway, you are better off looking out and around, or if you must look at a nav display, at a radar screen. That said, it is nice to have a graphic display of where you are and where everything else is. This is not denigrate those with chartplotters at the helm; I just don't care for it personally. Any GPS with a nema output is going to work for you. I would choose Garmin, but Magellan is probably just as good for your purposes. I find Garmin easier to use on the whole, but again that's personal. As far as a repeater screen for the laptop, they exist but they're very expensive at this point. I had a client look into intalling one and the best price he could find was north of $1000 for a relatively small screen. Good luck with your hunt, and let us know what you wind up doing. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

Rob Schmehl

Thank You

I really appreciate the input. I am going to get the Garmin this week. I have a hunter 35.5 and this will only get used when I get lost, which is quit often lately. Thanks, Rob

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Secure the laptop!

Miles: You mentioned the fact that a laptop can go flying around. My solution to this is the *3M* hold downs. I am using them for my TV and they work great. Been over 25+ degrees and the TV does not move (so far, 2 seasons). I am going to buy the longer straps that they have and mount the laptop to the chart table. On our H'31 we can see the laptop from the cockpit when you sit on the starboard side. This has eliminated us from having any screen in the cockpit. I was thinking about getting a 10-12" flat screen once the prices come down. The 15" flat screens are projected to retail for about $500 by year end. Hopfully the 10-12" ones may be down in the $200-300 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.