Which Filter?

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
My last oil change was Rotella Synthetic Blend for Diesel. Since this is a blend, I was wondering if I would need a specific type of oil filter? I have always used Universal filters even though my buddies switched to Frams years ago.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Rotella Synthetic Blend for Diesel
Best for Diesels, in my opinion.

The blend is for Viscosity in a narrow range. That is the Blend.
I use the same oil filters for the Viscosity flow on warmed oil. 3 years now on regular oil filters.
My Engine starts faster than my Ford Expedition.:biggrin:
Jim...

PS: Synthetics do not Carbonize as much on the burn, therefore less crap to filter out.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Best for Diesels, in my opinion.

The blend is for Viscosity in a narrow range. That is the Blend.
I use the same oil filters for the Viscosity flow on warmed oil. 3 years now on regular oil filters.
My Engine starts faster than my Ford Expedition.:biggrin:
Jim...

PS: Synthetics do not Carbonize as much on the burn, therefore less crap to filter out.
.....something else I learned in my old age...thanks to you.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
The universal filter will be just fine. I would not recommend a Fram filter. Just google oil filter comparison for reasons why.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just google oil filter comparison for reasons why.
Good idea. Found this video. It suggests a better option based upon opening the filters and exposing the guts.

The next step would be to design a test rig and examine the performance of the various materials at filtering oil contaminated.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
I've used Fram filters on my vehicles for years, over 450k on my old Caravan, never a problem, (it's youtube hype),however my dealer sells only Baldwin to fit my boat

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it's youtube hype
I have no idea if it is hype or not. It is the first time I have seen someone buy (or get donated) a bunch filters and cut them apart. If this helps to seer the innards I encourage you to watch. If it is of no value I encourage you to mark it as "read".

After seeing the insides of the filters I came away with a couple of unanswered questions and the observation if you are going to use extended life synthetic oil a synthetic designed filter might be a positive idea.

What are your thoughts about the spring steel or the actual spring? What about the bypass valve? Better inserted in the filter material or outside as a part of the steel spring? Is there a difference in effectiveness of the filter medium?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Good idea. Found this video. It suggests a better option based upon opening the filters and exposing the guts.

The next step would be to design a test rig and examine the performance of the various materials at filtering oil contaminated.
Instead of looking at new filters, Practical Sailor cut open more than 100 used filters (including Fram) to see what actually happens in use.
PS Oil Used Filter Tests

Yes, there were failures, where filters came apart in use. They correlated with just 2 brands. Curiously, the results do NOT correlate with simple factors you can observe on new filters, such as metal endcaps or coil springs. Some of the very best filters have neither one, and some of the worst filters had both. You have to look at used filters to see how they last.