which chartplotter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2009
Macgregor Venture 25 Seattle
I am looking at chartplotters and would love to hear from others about what they like or don't like about theirs. I have a 25ft Venture and plan on sailing on Puget sound and the San Juan islands. I have a budget of 350.00 (really, I know who has a bdget on the boat toys but 350.00 is my goal). I want to keep everything simple so there is less to go wrong. Currently I have a VHF and a hand held GPS and a compass. Anyone have any input or advise? Thanks

Carolyn

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I would recommend looking for a Garmin 192c, or 498 on eBay. These units have the US coastal water charts preloaded, which I don't believe is the case with the Raymarine unit Steve suggested.

I have a Garmin 192c that I am selling, but it already has a buyer.

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I believe Garmin has a $100 rebate program going on right now. I think for purchases up to 4 April.

I had the Garmin GPSMap 478 but it was stolen out of my car a few weeks ago...so I just bought the GPSMap 546 (bigger screen and higher def/more pixels) with sounder/transducer (it's only money). Haven't received it yet...it is on the way.

I have been happy with Garmin...works fine, preloaded maps.

Cheers,
Jim

Oct 29, 2009
Hunter 34 Fort Pierce Fl
I just got a Garmin 525 on craigslist for 400 lists for 800 to 900 was used once world map loaded then I got 3 blue chart vision maps for 59 on ebay they retail for 250 and up ,also got a new four burner RV stove and oven for 200 on craigslist like to buy used just no what your looking for! gatekeeper

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
BTW, I hope you at least know how to do basic navigation and coastal pilotage and carry paper charts for your home waters. Getting a chartplotter before learning the basics is a big mistake IMHO.

Jun 22, 2009
Thanks

Thanks for the information. I do have paper charts and use them but I don't have a depth sounder and it seemed I should look at chartplotters before rushing out for a depth sounder. I have read quite a bit on not trusting the GPS for location. I am trying to spend my $$ wisely and not have equipment that doesn't do its job

Carolyn

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Depth Gauge

I think a depth guage is very important and nessacary to comfirm position on paper chart and you should always have paper charts onboard.
I am new to sailing on Charlotte Harbor SW Florida only been here 2 years and give you a idea the deepest it is 22 ft and mostly sail in around 10 to 14 ft but it is a great sailing area.
I found that I use my C-80 all the time and still unsure of the very shallow spots in the harbor so my depth gauge is a must for me and more important than the C-80 which my second most important piece of equipment.
If you sail the same all place and get very fimilar you don't need a GPS just a Depth Gauge.
But if you want to expand your sailing area the GPS is good.
Nick

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I agree . . . you need to add a depth sounder or maybe get a chartplotter/fishfinder combo. Not only does a depth sounder help you follow the depth curves on a chart but it can keep you out of trouble in shallow water.

Our boat came with a depth sounder/speedo combo. We mostly sail in a lake with a maximum depth of 25 feet and underwater stumps in some areas. I'd be in a world of hurt with a 4' draft and no depth sounder.

Last year I added a humminbird SeaCharter 642c iDGPS fishfinder/chartplotter that came with a sonar head and speedo wheel. I was able to epoxy the sonar head inside the hull and it works fine. The benefit is that I have depth and gps in one. I also picked up a chart chip to go with it as we'll also be sailing in the San Juans and Columbia River this summer. Cost is more than your budget but there are less expensive options than the model I purchased.

My 2 cents.

Jun 22, 2009
Humminbird

Thanks for the reply. I am certianly getting at least a depth sounder before I head out to puget sound and the San juans. I don't want to go bump =). I am currently looking at a humminbird 161. I don't need any color charts but I sure want a depth sounder. Thanks again.

Carolyn

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Thanks for the reply. I am certianly getting at least a depth sounder before I head out to puget sound and the San juans. I don't want to go bump =). I am currently looking at a humminbird 161. I don't need any color charts but I sure want a depth sounder. Thanks again.

Carolyn
Carolyn do you have a link or info for the
Built-in 4 nautical mile resolution UniMap of USA inland lakes, rivers and coastal areas
that comes with it. That is interesting. That seems to have a lot built into it for the price.

We are looking at one of their depth finders ourselves, the 170...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBMQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

... but it doesn't have all that the 161 has. We have the GPS/chartplotter stuff taken care of.

If you get it post how you like it,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID
\
Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Status
Not open for further replies.