Which Bomar Gaskets ?

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
2004 Hunter 41 - hatch above forward cabin leaks very badly - even worse now that I paid someone to fix it. Starting simple - there seem to be several Bomar gaskets available - high and low profile - which one does this hatch take ? Second question - also seems to be leaking around the "dogs". Is there some type of gasket that goes with them ? Don;t have a picture or model on the hatch yet - heading down to the boat this weekend tanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It "may" be something like this.

1687969316429.png

If you look on the acrylic lens, you'll find the model number very, very, very lightly imprinted. Use that to search for the gasket. If not, search Bomar's site and their manuals will help you identify your hatch.

Second question - also seems to be leaking around the "dogs".

As far as the leaking dogs go, I'd guess that the drunk you acquired from the gin mill and then paid to do the repairs, forgot to replace the "O" ring in each dog :

1687969922733.jpeg

If you're smart, you'll do the job yourself after reading the Bowmar manual. This is TRULY one job which requires a Grade 4 Reform School education at best. Could have saved the the gin money as well. Bomar has a good selection of manuals.

When you put the dogs back together, lubricate the "O" ring with a NON petroleum based grease. Use a petroleum based grease and they'll leak in time.

Also, give the gaskets a wipe of this :

1687970667623.png

......... every other year and they'll outlast the boat.

• Helpful
Mar 20, 2021
Hunter 41 Lake Tahoe
Hi, I had the 2 main hatches leaking for the last 2 years. Tried the low and high profile material. It is not the same profile
as the original. Neither one fits properly , tried glue to hold it in place no luck. Talked to Bomar and the original profile is
not available. The serial number of the hatch is between the 2 hinges when you open up fully. The Bomar part number for the
hatch assembly isN1086-10PX. I have ordered 2 new hatch assemblies. I have a Hunter 41 2004 AC.

Jan 4, 2006
I have ordered 2 new hatch assemblies. I have a Hunter 41 2004 AC.
Do I understand you to say that you couldn't find the correct gasket for your Bomar hatch so you are going to buy two new complete hatch assemblies at $685.99 each ?

1688013598182.png

Whereas gasket material (yet to be identified) goes for $11.99/ft ? And there's still all the effort of removing the old hatch and installing a new one ? Hmmmmm .

1688014572286.png

@spadaforaj , I see my old Bomar hatch model 1080-10A is still being sold today as a current model :

1688014392029.png

.......... and mine dates back to 1999. Yours dating back to 2004 surely still has replacement parts if you check the web for them. I would suggest you pry (but not cut out) a short section of the gasket material and photo the end view plus measure it out for shape, height, and width and whatever so you can supply a drawing to the vendor of what you are after. If you go with Defender Industries, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent someone out to measure it for you. Fantastic people for hard to get parts but they just about kill me with their shipping fees to Canada.

After you've measured the short piece, glue it back in with contact cement and it's there for life.

1688015351032.png

Don't get contact cement that's earth muffin connected. The smell should be strong enough to twist your head around 360° at least once if not more. I see the new gasket material is adhesive backed so installation should be a breeze.

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Hatchmasters was very helpful when I needed gasket material.

Mar 20, 2021
Hunter 41 Lake Tahoe
Hi Ralph, I tried 2 different gaskets with specs from Bomar. The gasket you are showing is for port lights. None worked.
Tried Hatchmaster and no luck. Sailing my boat to Mexico in October so making sure every drip is stopped.

Jan 4, 2006
Sailing my boat to Mexico in October so making sure every drip is stopped.
I agree that desperate times call for desperate measures but I'd be busting my hump to avoid going to the expense you suffered through. It looks like Bomar has not changed hatch models from when my boat was built in 1998 as a 1999 model. This I can see as how can you keep upgrading models of hatches. A hatch is a hatch. Maybe Bomar could do with their hatches like they used to do with refrigerators ? Harvest gold one year, avocado the next, black, and now stainless steel. It's all about sales.

If @spadaforaj can come up with a model number, maybe we can find him a gasket. If not, maybe :

1688053405104.png

As I said, desperate times etc, etc.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Heading down there tomorrow night for the weekend - thanks all for the advice - I'll get the part number. I also hope I did the o rings right - found what seemed to be the same thing on the Catalina site - latch dog rebuild kit - oh well - if they don't fit will return and try again. What do you guys recommend for sealing the butt ends of the gasket material ? The idiot I hired left about a 1-/8 inch gap between the two ends, cut it too short I suspect The hatch does look like your's, Ralph

Jan 4, 2006
What do you guys recommend for sealing the butt ends of the gasket material ?
The ideal adhesive would be a contact cement as shown in post #5.

The idiot I hired left about a 1-/8 inch gap between the two ends,
That WOULD have a tendency to pass a fair amount of water :yikes: . Most noticeably if it was over your bunk. And if you had to explain it the next morning.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
only thing I could read - I could make out the Bomar logo on the lens, barely You can see the likely leak source and i'm off to find some contact cement
IMG_1363.jpg