Which boat to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan

Now that I've retired and have time, I'd like to return to sailing after selling my last boat 18 years ago. Right now I'm thinking strongly of an ODay 28, and the web shows many boats 1975-1985 for about $20K. Can some kindly old hand advise me if this boat will be a hassle or fun sailing, most of which will be daysailing and short cruises around southern New England. About a month ago I tried a Catalina 28 and found it too light. My attitude is a factor: At age 65 this Oday may well be my last boat, and I'm looking for an easy gig. Your opinions welcome and appreciated. Alan in Guilford, CT

T

Tom Thomison

Great Boat

I've been sailing since I was 13, I'm now 52. Have sailed many different size and makes of boats. I now have an O'Day 28 and sail on the Chesepeake Bay. It's a great boat and I highly recommend it. It's easy to sail and has alot of room on board. I've had it out in 25 mile winds with 4 foot waves with no problems. Keep in mind that there are two 28 foot models. I have the 28. There is also a 280 which is not the same. Good Luck. Tom

A

Alan

Thank you TOM

Thank you very much Tom, that's precisely the reply I was hoping for. Yes, it looks good but I've been retired from boating so long I wanted an up-to-date opinion. So thanks for your advice--Chances are I will take it and share your ownership pleasure. But before you go, tell me, what is the difference between a 28 and a 280? I didn't know there was a difference. God bless and smooth seas, Alan

T

tom thomison

O'day 28 vs 280

The 28 was built until the late 80s. It is a heaveir boat, with more beam and a taller mast. I've been told that the 28 was also better built. The 280 has a LOA of 28'11", beam is 9" and mast height of 34'10". I''ve looked the 27 and the 270, and the difference is obivous. The 27 is a much nicer boat. I suppect that the difference would be the same with the 28 and the 280. There is a site that you might want to look at. It's called O'Day Sailboats Unoffical Web Site. If you search on O'Day, you should find it. If you get the 28, let us know how you like it. Good Luck. Tom

B

Ben Allen

Have Your Possible Purchase Surveyed

Alan, O'Day's are great boats, I sail a O 26 and have found very few faults with it. With a purchase of this size, have a surveyer take a look at it and let you know his opinion. If the boat checks out clean, you will have a boat that will make a great coastal cruiser. Ben Allen Montgomery, AL "Wahoo" O 26

M

Mike

O'Day 27

I love my O'Day 27 (1977). It's about 1500lb heavier than the newer 272 -- I think it's a much better boat. Since you want no hassle, get roller furling and a wheel, if you can find one (I have a tiller) It's comfortable and well-built. It sails well and it's fast. I have an atomic 4 gas engine which is fantastic. You can get one for under $10,000!

B

Ben McAndrew

Go for it!

Mr Guilford: I think the O' Day 28 is an excellent boat. I am 14, and my dad owned and chartered one out from 1985 untill the present. The boat is-like I said, an excellent boat. It is easy to handle, has a good sail plan&cabin layout, it has a good engine, a spaceous cockpit, nice wide sidedecks, good storage, and can fit lost of people for entertaining. (8 comfortably, but the most we dared to have on Telperion was 20) The O'Day 28 is also a VERY fast boat. We won many races with it. It has a good spaceous galley, with all the counterspace a long arm can reach. The boat also can sleep a family of 6 quite comfortably. The vwntalation is good throughout the cabin, and is it a BIG 28-footer. I say snap it up, because you won't find allot of O'Day 28's for sale out there. Good luck, and let us know what you decided to do. -Ben McAndrew P.S: You're being had if you pay more than $22,000 for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.