Where's the PotTop UpLock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Kiernan

I just got a '92 C-22 several months ago. Going through the boat I noticed the Poptop, when raised, moved slightly forward of center and would stay up. HOWEVER, with the boat in the water and the mast stepped the top can not go past center becasue of the mast and it will not stay up. I ran a lashing from a support leg to the mast to hold it up, but suspect the factory had another way of doing it such as a catch or brace. Any ideas or suggestions for holding the top up? Am I missing a part?

W

Will

There is a part

On my '78 C22, the lock slid in the sail track and had a piece that fit the edge of the pop top along with a locking nut. You pushed up the pop top until it contacted the mast, slid up the locking piece until it captured the edge of the top, and then locked it in place.

L

Lisa Woodburn

Dangerous without the "lock"

also not recommended to sail with the pop-top up. Catalina Direct can help you with the correct parts - not expensive. My son's fingers nearly got smashed when the screw for my pop-top lock broke and it came crashing down (yikes- 70+ lbs!). If I hadn't been cleaning down below, my head & back would have not broken the pop-top fall and my 7 yr. old would've been hurt real bad. Be careful, but enjoy the pop-top when you've got the correct parts! Happy sailing, Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.