Where's the leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hrvoje

I'm rather new to this forum, so I don't know wether this question has been asked (and answered) but if anyone can help out, i'd be very grateful! The problem: I fill the ballast to be 3" from the hole, everything is ok! After some time, about 6 - 7 gallons of water gathers up in the compartment under the right (small) berth, the one in front of the sink, in the position where usually the battery (acumulator) is! I have no idea where's the water comming from! Questions: Is it safe to sail with 5-10 gallons of water less in the ballast? How to stop the water comming in! I think the water is comming from the ballast somehow, mybe when there are 4 people on board and the boat is heavier, the water in the ballast wants to level with the sea line! Can this be happening, if yes, how to stop it? Thanx for any help!

B

Bob Cassel

Water inside a 26D-S-C

1: Rainwater coming in through the deck fittings. These are usually poorly bedded and need to be re-bedded. Include in this the chainplates, stem post and aft stay connections. These need to be re-caulked annually. 2: Water in through the hull/deck joint. This seam is not well sealed with 3M5200 at the factory and, if you sail rail in the water, can leak in considerable water. 3: Do you have a passive lazarette vent system? An amazing amount of water can run in through these openings. 4: Condensation buildup in humid climates can accumulate quite a bit too. Taste the water, is it seawater (salty)? Put some food coloring in the ballast tank and see if the water that is accumulating in the bilge is colored. This will tell you if it is from the ballast. Check your centerboard trunk seam and any lifting lines. I don't know the D model well, but in the S the line comes up through a tube that is not well clamped to the through hull. Hope this all helps.

M

Maurice

Check sink drain

I did own a 26 D that I sold in 02. I had the same problem and found water entering through the plumbing where the sink drains out through the hull. Water leaked in every time I was healed over to starboard. Check all the fittings and plastic tubing and you might find your problem is easily fixed in this area. Fair Winds.

Status
Not open for further replies.