wheres the emergency tiller typically stowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI San Francisco
hi, the other forum got me thinking... im new to my c30 and havent located the emergency tiller yet (if there is one). Is there a holder that typically exists in a lazarette for the emergency tiller? or some type of bracket for storing it?
I've got an '85 c-30
thanks
NCC

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
No brackets, it usually finds it's way to the bottom of the port lazzerette (handiest place big enough) in a plastic (red or green and rusty) cover.

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
Ours is in the Nav. table. And we've used it. Cables were loose and newbies couldn't steer their boat. We went in circles for a bit.:doh:

Rob

Jan 6, 2010
I have my emergency tiller in the STBD lazerette (shallow one). I use this to store lines also.

If you need it in a hurry, it's fast access. Also if needing emergency lines, they are there too. I think the port side lazerette is too deep if the rudder is kept low.

CR

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Bottom of port lazarette gets wet so keep it on the shelf in the lazarette. Easy access for the helmsman................

Bob _/)

Jan 6, 2010
Bob,

The port lazerette should not get wet pal. You have a leak from maybe topsides, or water is getting in from somewhere below.

I would look into this. If the locker is wet/damp it kinda kills storing things like cushions, lines etc.

CR

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Note: Now that you found it, go check that you have clearance between the tiller base and the wheel to use it. I was forewarned on here to check and mine is too long.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Hopefully, you're not thinking of cutting it down to fit. That would make it more difficult to manage. They're designed so that you have to remove the wheel before installing.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Don, I actually made an "offset", two-piece tiller that will work and left the old one alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.