Where to source Catalina 22 masthead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nato

Mar 22, 2013
Catalina 22 Santa Barbara
Hey everyone,

In January, I started the re-rigging process to get ready for spring and summer sailing. Uh oh! I have an OE (minus the "M" - meaning what came on the boat in 1973 is still on the boat) mast and masthead. The clevis pins for the forestay and backstay were self-welded to the masthead.

Of course a hammer is the appropriate solution to remove a stubborn clevis pin. Several wacks later, and the pin was still firmly secure, but a large crack adorned my now worthless masthead.

Catalina Direct has new replacement mastheads, but they have been on back-order since November. Anyone know of alternate/used piles of mastheads I can access until the new mastheads come in with Catalina Direct?

Thanks,

Nathan

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When in doubt, call Catalina Yachts, they made the boat and are still in business.

Nato

Mar 22, 2013
Catalina 22 Santa Barbara
Thanks Stu and Joe. Fingers crossed that this may be a successful backup plan.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks Stu and Joe. Fingers crossed that this may be a successful backup plan.
BACKUP?.... calling the factory parts department will save you money... calling catalinadirect.com would be my backup plan. Where do you think they get their factory parts from?

By the way.... I know it's too late to tell you, but taking a hammer to a cast fitting often leads the the result you experienced (uh, ask me how I know that)....... If the same problem arises elsewhere....use heat, a butane torch for instance, to break the galvanic bond between the ss pin and the aluminum casting.

Mar 2, 2007
Catalina 22 Anderson, SC
I have an original masthead on a spare mast I have for my race boat. Let me know if you are interested.

Jan 13, 2013
Catalina 22 Lake Champlain
Anyone have a close up photo of what an OEM mast head looks like?

Mine looks weird and is some PO's attempt to keep rain out of the mast - I think. Without seeing what the OEM looks like, I have no clue what mine's got on it or for that matter, if it's even functional as a rain shield...

So far, I've never been on the water with my C-22. There's still snow on the ground and ice on Lake Champlain.:cry:

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
Go to CatalinaDirect.com. They have pictures of the one they have for sale.

Jan 13, 2013
Is that thing on all C-22's?

The top of my mast looks nothing like that. I bought the boat in November, tarped it a few days later and have been doing rudder, brightwork, keel winch, and trailer restoration ever since...

Internal halyards? Pulleys? Time to pull the tarp and double check what's there. More importantly, what's not :doh:

Thanks Chris!

Jan 13, 2013
Amazing!

I may be dumb - but I'm not stupid! :redface:

I've lost my mind. The masthead is all there. It was covered so I never really looked for something that should have been where it was already - but I never recalled it not being there - either.:snooty:

I went outside with the camera and took these:

Attachments

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Hey Ken; when is the put-in date up there? We start May 1. Can't wait! Just about 1 month.

Andrew

Jan 13, 2013
As previously stated, we only have two seasons here in northern VT. Winter, and the 4th of July.

I need to learn how to rig the mast, by myself, in my yard, long before the boat sees water. I'm hoping for the first sail and to put it in Lake Champlain sometime in late May.

BTW, does anyone have any ideas as to why that s.s. bracket is atop my masthead?

I'm thinking dual purpose; "mast light mount" and rain cap?

Whatta' you guys think?

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Bracket

Looks like the PO made a bracket to attach the anchor light and maybe an antenna.. Over kill on the bracket and a bit heavy...

Status
Not open for further replies.