Where to place deck pipe for anchor rode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 22 Victoria
I have a 1981 Catalina 22 with a bow roller and anchor locker but no thru-deck pipe for feeding the rode & chain into & out of the locker. (Go figure.)

Before I saw a 3" hole in my deck for the deck pipe, has anyone done this? Any lessons learned e.g. where exactly to position the deck pipe?

I have used the anchor locker to store a spare rode & chain, so I know it fits in there.

I have the turnbuckle that acts as a reinforcement between the forestay and the stem so as to take some of the strain off the deck.

Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 22 Victoria
I couldn't figure out how to look at the info at the link w/o first paying about $30.

Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
What type of locker do you have? To the best of my knowledge the 81 does not have one. Our 84 does not have one either. Do you think it was added after the fact? Do you have any pictures of it? Any more info may help

Dale

Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 22 Victoria
What type of locker do you have? To the best of my knowledge the 81 does not have one. Our 84 does not have one either. Do you think it was added after the fact? Do you have any pictures of it?
Dale
It has to be original--the hull liner fits up against it exactly. There's a pretty good picture of the anchor locker here: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:bhP9dY9xnJ-BiM:http://www.elmhurstprop.com/kitty/webad/ The anchor cutout that you see in the picture is decorating a little panel that lifts up and out of the wood frame around it. There's a little cubbyhole behind it that is currently storing 150 feet of 1/2" rode and 25 feet of 3/8" chain. At the top of the cubbyhole, inside the locker, are the mounting bolts for the mooring cleats and anchor light etc. There still appears to be lots of room for a deck pipe.

The other picture I was referring to is from the "Chip Ahoy" site, and shows--through the hatch which has had the frame removed for some reason--a rode and chain stored in the forward "bin" built into the forepeak bunk area: http://www.chipford.com/graphics/06-04-26_hatch03.jpg . Merlin has both of these things.

Isn't there anybody out there who feeds their anchor rode and chain through a deck pipe into the little locker?

Perhaps there's just too many holes up there already in that little triangle of deck at the bow--pulpit bolt holes, anchor roller bolt holes, forestay bolt holes, navigation light screws, mooring cleat bolt holes--to cut another one.

And if I do end up cutting one, I sure don't want to then discover it's in the way of the anchor shank or something else I hadn't thought of.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Isn't there anybody out there who feeds their anchor rode and chain through a deck pipe into the little locker?

My 1981 C22 had a hawse pipe up there. We kept the Danforth on a bow hanger and stowed the rode thru the deck pipe.

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
cmbrossa, I too have pondered putting a hawse pipe down into the forward rode locker, the only thing that has stopped me to date is that I have often wondered if the water from a wet rode drains into the bilge or lays in the bottom of the locker. Hopefully Stu can elaborate on this issue.

Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 22 Victoria
I'm assuming I'd have to put a drain in. Stinky anchor water running down into the berth cushions is not my idea of an improvement. I have an idea how to do it although would be one of those dreaded no-going-back drilling jobs that I have to sit and stare at for half a day before I can commit.

Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 22 Victoria
I FINALLY found a picture of the anchor locker drain in >'86 boats: http://cjandeai.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html The difference with my '81 is that the forward-berth locker is not open to the inside of the hull as it is in the picture. That locker in my boat is a bin moulded into the hull liner so there is no access to the inside of the hull, making drain installation something of a headache.

In order to drill holes to feed the the drain hose and install a thru-hull, two inspection-type ports would have to be cut, one in the forward wall of the bin and another in the front of the 3.5 inch-high compartment between the bottom of the anchor locker and the surface of the hull liner.

That seems to cover the scope of what it would take to modify my '81 Catalina 22 so that the rode and chain go over a bow roller and down a hawsepipe into a locker that drains.

I would still appreciate any tips as to the placement of the hawsepipe.

Jan 30, 2010
catalina 22 so cal
anchor locker

Keep it simple, how many times have you used your anchor the way it is now? Is it really that difficult the way it is? Why add another hole in deck, plus you said it, where to drain the locker w/o future problems. Forget it and have fun sailing..... my 2 cents worth!
DanO
Hull #823

Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 22 Victoria
I agree, dropping it off the stern, setting it, and walking up to the bow works great.

The problem is that I'm not strong enough to haul the chain and anchor back up over the rub rail without grinding gouges in the rubrail and the edges of the deck--especially if the anchor is carrying a load of bottom muck and needs to be dunked 50 times. (Maybe I should have mounted the bow roller on the transom. That would be a conversation piece.)

For cruising, I carry two anchors--a big one for those depressing overnight forecasts and a normal-size one, both with chains & and rodes. (If I ever end up on a lee shore, it won't be for lack of anchors.) The big anchor is currently down in the very bottom of the bilge where I practically have to dismantle the boat to get it out. Having one bow mounted and the other in the starboard lazarette would be much easier.

Even if you only have the one anchor in the lazarette, when you stow your wet rode in the bin, the bin ends up with water in the bottom of it. Sometimes stinky water. That water evaporates and ends up condensing again all over the inside of the boat. Same with a bucket if I used one in the forward locker to hold the rode. Ideally it would drain overboard.

Whether it's worth all the fuss it would take is debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.