Where to look for a raw water leak.

Mar 4, 2017
Bayliner 3288, MacGregor 21 Port Hadlock, WA
We started taking on water yesterday and found water up to the bottom of the sole. This is a 2000 420 Passage that belongs to a friend. We are delivering it from Ensenada, Mexico to Newport Beach. Currently tied up in San Diego. The water was running down the port side and passing through all the limber holes to the bilge. The pump was keeping up, except that the float switch was getting stuck and that is when the water level would reach the sole. We had to manually activate the pump to empty the bilge. I'm wondering if there is a common place of failure we should look first? Any other tips on tracing out the exhaust side parts that could be the issue is appreciated. Compounding the problem, now the engine will not start. Is it possible the water got high enough to short something out? We also have voltage problems. The start bank was at 12.7 volts and the house bank was 11.9 volts when we got tied up at the dock. That was after 10 hours of motoring. We have power at the starter and the panel, but nothing happens when the start button is pressed. Thanks in advance!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The water was running down the port side and passing through all the limber holes to the bilge.
from what direction (forward or aft)?

I'm wondering if there is a common place of failure we should look first?
start with all through hull hose connections, shaft seal, etc… or if a slow leak, tanks and hoses

Compounding the problem, now the engine will not start. . The start bank was at 12.7 volts and the house bank was 11.9 volts when we got tied up at the dock. That was after 10 hours of motoring.
Obviously the alternator isn’t charging the house bank but that wouldn’t prevent engine issue unless someone switched engine to the house supply or whatever links both banks for charging failed.

Assuming you get the engine started, read what start and house bank voltages are.

Mar 4, 2017
The leak is coming from the raw water system downstream of the impeller. I'm hoping someone is familiar with that part of the system that could tell me where to look first. We are currently connected to shore power but the start bank is still at 12.7 volts because I think it only gets charged from the old crappy solar panel.

Sep 25, 2008
The leak is coming from the raw water system downstream of the impeller.
That could be anywhere from engine to the exhaust.

We are currently connected to shore power but the start bank is still at 12.7 volts because I think it only gets charged from the old crappy solar panel.
it would help minimize the guessing game if you verify that the battery charger is on, functioning and connected to both battery banks.

Mar 4, 2017
So, the exhaust hose in the aft lazzerette is totally cracked and I am betting that needs replaced even if the leak is elsewhere. How bad is that job?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A cracked exhaust hose could be your leak source. We could play guess the solution or you could take some pictures and post them here.

It really does not matter how bad a project that is. If you want to keep going to deliver the boat and you have to use the engine in the process, then you need to fix the problem or expect to swim when the battery/bilge pump stops working.:biggrin:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I give up!
I'm just about ready to second that motion unless you can start thinking clearly in a linear fashion and start answering a few questions in an intelligent manner.

1. The only way you will find a leak in the exhaust hose is to trace the raw water path from the engine to the discharge thru-hull. No easy saves on this one so get down on your knees and start tracing. Pull panels out where required if you're looking at an insert for a temporary repair. If the hose is badly cracked in the lazz. as you say, look at replacing the entire hose, engine to thru-hull. You don't want it holing again in a bad location at sea. A rough job but is it worth your life to leave it ? ? ?

2. Is there a strong smell of exhaust down below ? With that much water leaking, there is most likely exhaust gasses coming out with the water.

Compounding the problem, now the engine will not start.
Get to work with a voltmeter, working backwards from the starter motor and let us know what you find. I hope you know how to use one if you're delivering a boat with which with you are unfamiliar, from Mexico to Newport Beach.

If you are not knowledgeable with hauling hoses and electrical troubleshooting, I suggest you get a hotel room and then contact a qualified marine company to do the the work. And don't go back to the boat until the work is complete.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ooh Booy ... I'm last in line for advice here but I can see when a post is communicative or not. In this case not. The OP says the engine won't start. But we don't hear from him if it turns over. Or even if the solonoid energizes. Is it an even a diesel engine?
There are battery issues. There is no way for posters to know if that has anything to do with the non-start issue. We can't know the history of the batteries or which are switched on or off and especially how they are wired including the charger and whatever else is on the boat (Ancient solar panels).
This boat needs to be parked and issues resolved before continuing this delivery.
And that doesn't even consider the leak - which if it reached the cabin sole is definitely an issue. (Hint: Look for where the water is coming in)
OP should be happy he isn't the owner. Motel Six is your friend.

Mar 4, 2017
\]
Sorry for the delay in updating my progress. I have been busy fixing my problems instead of being online chatting. Getting help in the real world is not as fast as clicking a keyboard. The leak in the exhaust hose was just above the hull fitting nipple. We were able to cut 6" off and put the hose back on for a temporary fix. The hose absolutely needs replaced but we can't do that en-route. The starting issue is still being worked out. On another forum I was informed of where to locate the starter relay and will replace that today. We can start the engine by jumping the solenoid. The job to replace the full exhaust hose will be a chore since it looks like the bed will have to be disassembled. The idea of stopping the trip and abandoning the boat is maybe what some would do, but I know my situation and I am comfortable with my choice. I am also comfortable with troubleshooting problems when I the get the help I need instead of judgement from people who know a tiny fraction of what my situation is.

Sep 25, 2008
\]
Sorry for the delay in updating my progress. I have been busy fixing my problems instead of being online chatting. Getting help in the real world is not as fast as clicking a keyboard. The leak in the exhaust hose was just above the hull fitting nipple. We were able to cut 6" off and put the hose back on for a temporary fix. The hose absolutely needs replaced but we can't do that en-route. The starting issue is still being worked out. On another forum I was informed of where to locate the starter relay and will replace that today. We can start the engine by jumping the solenoid. The job to replace the full exhaust hose will be a chore since it looks like the bed will have to be disassembled. The idea of stopping the trip and abandoning the boat is maybe what some would do, but I know my situation and I am comfortable with my choice. I am also comfortable with troubleshooting problems when I the get the help I need instead of judgement from people who know a tiny fraction of what my situation is.
We know 100% of what you told us….

what about the 11 volt house battery bank?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now that you are not leaking..
Battery voltage can impact the starter.
Low voltage in your house battery “after 10 hours of motoring” sounds like:
  • The alternator is not being used to charge the House battery
  • Solar is not providing enough power to offset your house consumption
  • Batteries may not be holding charge

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
On another forum I was informed of where to locate the starter relay and will replace that today.
I am also comfortable with troubleshooting problems when I the get the help I need instead of judgement from people who know a tiny fraction of what my situation is.
Are you prepared to discuss what voltage you find starting RIGHT AT THE DAMN STARTER MOTOR or are you just going to start replacing parts at random hoping something will work.

GIVE US THE INFORMATION WE NEED and we will solve your problem or as we like to say around here, help us and we'll help you.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have heard and saw alot in my lifetime as an investigator and as a sailboat dealer but to sacrifice safety is unwise. You have been given good advice. Why not contact the owner to advise what is happening as you are not the owner!