where to buy standing rigging...launch disaster!

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Good point Chief. If the T fittings bind and bend due to being out-of-place when the mast goes upright, Hunter recommends replacing them.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Dave, mine are real heavy duty but for some reason they like to hang up in the slot instead of seating. I checked all of them when I dropped the mast back down and seated them but with the heavy 3/16" shrouds the weight and swing angle must unseat them as they go up. I bought the new rubber inserts too so, guess I'll just have to be real careful or maybe vaseline them before they go up next time. I'd bet this is what happened to ol' GeorgiaBII!

Chief

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Tie or tape the shrouds straight up to the life line. That keeps them in place as the mast goes up.

Nov 26, 2012
Dave: got it! Keep them loaded until they are almost vertical then cut 'em loose, right? Thanks, Chief

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When raising the mast, there are two possibilities of turnbuckle studs being bent. First the wire can catch going up. Basically if you feel any unusal tension, then stop and look.

When the mast is up for example at 75 degrees, look at the shroud chainplates to insure the attachment of the turnbuckle bodies is not catching or at a weird angle. If so, simply shake them out and finally raise the mast all the way.

Nov 26, 2012
Crazy Dave: My problem isn't turnbuckles, its the T fittings at the top of the shroud lines and they will not shake down into proper position. Lube and tape will probably work. I'll find out today as its set up in my parking lot here at home.
We think Georgia's problem is probably thesamething. Chief

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
We think Georgia's problem is probably thesamething. Chief
I hope this is the case, and the ideas to keep it from happening are cool. However, how did Georgia get his forestay in place ?? Unless it's hooked to the wrong place. Or the turnbuckle is way out.

Anyway, he's going there this weekend ( I wish it were here, I'd love to help ) and we'll know more / have pictures then. Can't be a bad thing to have more data..

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
I hope this is the case, and the ideas to keep it from happening are cool. However, how did Georgia get his forestay in place ?? Unless it's hooked to the wrong place. Or the turnbuckle is way out.

Anyway, he's going there this weekend ( I wish it were here, I'd love to help ) and we'll know more / have pictures then. Can't be a bad thing to have more data..
More data or a tragic boat fire.... :D

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Chief;

There are rubber stopper which I use to refer to snubbers that can be bought on this site store to keep the T toggles from coming out. The key to keeping this not to be an issue is to look at them before raising the mast and putting a string around the shrouds or bung chord to keep that slack out. Never had a problem after that.

Nov 26, 2012
Crazy Dave: I have new rubber snubbers so will use bunge to keep slack out. Thanks, Chief

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
YOu are welcome Chief. I had that problem too with and without the snubbers and part of raising was to make sure no slack in those shrouds to allow the T toggles to come out...

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
Well today was good and strange! I closely inspected the rigging and couldn't find any of the issues suggested in here. Reinstalled the mast foot and tried to raise the mast...

Went up like a charm and locked in place. Still have no idea why it wouldn't work last weekend but it's up and adjusted now.

Now to get the rest setup and maybe a test sail tomorrow if there is wind and the sails don't explode.

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
Well today was good and strange! I closely inspected the rigging and couldn't find any of the issues suggested in here. Reinstalled the mast foot and tried to raise the mast...

Went up like a charm and locked in place. Still have no idea why it wouldn't work last weekend but it's up and adjusted now.

Now to get the rest setup and maybe a test sail tomorrow if there is wind and the sails don't explode.
I have the same guy working on my boat all the time. Usually he messes with the outboard, or maybe the running rigging.. sometimes he makes a block fall apart just as I lean out over the water with it, sometimes he messes with my sheaves at the top of the mast.. it's always something cheap he's working on and he never tells me. never.. And it's always something that if I don't see what he did, it will cost me big time in either money, time, health, or all three. The guy is such a dirt bag. I'm glad he appears to have left our marina.. LOL

Nov 26, 2012
I think Crazy Dave will concur with my feeling that the T's or upper rigging was hung up. The first time I put mine up they didn't cause a problem but the 2nd time they did. Read carefully above info so you can minimize any shroud problems. Glad your OK! Chief

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I concur with Chief as that did happen from time to time. Just make sure the t toggles are not binding before the mast goes up or not inside the mast