Where to buy a pop top camper canvas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I see lots of catalina 22 for sale that have pop top camper canvas with the boat but I've searched all over the net and have yet to find any for sale.

I'm sure these arent custom made surely there are mass marketed by someone.

Anyway any advice?

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
If your in no hurry, three or four show up for sale during the year.

Honestly if you and or you know someone that's handy with a sewing machine you cam make one you will use using sunbrella and good screen.

I used the cover only one or two times..... Mine did not have the screens therefore it was really hot... Instead we used a screen over the poptop when the top was up.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
thanks for the suggestion have looked at what people are asking and just cant bring myself to drop the cash on it for something I'll only be using a few times a year.

Funny you mentioned having someone good with a sewingmachine my moms a semestress (sp) retired but I can beg her to do things for me from time to time hehe.

Anyway maybe I'll post a pic of it when she's done but hard to explain but it's basically the same thing as the canvas cover but it's just gonna be all screen that covers the pop top and the hatch way and since I hate putting any holes anywhere that it isn't mandatory she is gonna sew in a heavy rope all the way around the edge so that the weight of the rope holds it down should be able to just fold it up put the entire thing in a bag under a seat when I'm not using whole thing should be pretty cheep.

Anyway it'll work or it wont, wont cost much to try and wont be putting any holes in any fiberglass for something that maybe I wont like after I've put it in. We'll give it a shot nothin to loose I guess...:)

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
I am making one and plan on marble sized glass beads for the weight around the bottom

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Poptop covers

Couple of thoughts;

The old sytle boat will not use the new style poptop cover. A friend found this out the hard way.

On my old style I bought one without screens we used it one tiime..... Way too hot. Try to either find one with screens, or plan on adding screens. the best option is to make one or have a screen top made.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
I am making one and plan on marble sized glass beads for the weight around the bottom
I'm curious about this weight feature. The original pop-top cover is a vinylized canvas (like naugahyde) that is affixed with snaps around the cabin top.
It is true that the old style and new style covers would be different and also the snaps were fitted by hand so that the cover had a snug fit when the pop-top is raised. The purpose of this cover was to provide some rain protection when sleeping aboard and not intended for use while sailing.

I use mine in the winter to seal the boat from critters after I tarp the boat and after removing my teak for varnishing. In the summer I intend to make a cover from sunbrella fabric sometime to protect the varnish when the boats at the dock so that I don't have to re varnish quite so often.

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
I do not intend to use it in high wind or while sailing, if I make a series of pockets 4 inches tall and 8 inches long inside the base of the cover with velcro along the tops I can remove the marbles to machine wash or adjust the weight. If it is that hot out I will probably have some kind of climate control. I plan on making a removable panel for a window A/C unit in the companionway.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
....if I make a series of pockets 4 inches tall and 8 inches long inside the base of the cover with velcro along the tops I can remove the marbles to machine wash or adjust the weight. ......
An interesting concept. It may be jsut as easy to add hooks and small diameter bungee straps but the "factory" cover has snaps. This uses fixed "male" snaps around the cabin top and then the females are affixed to the canvass cover. On mine, this works fine but they are a tad tight and aren't easy to snap unless one goes around in a certain order.

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
"they are a tad tight and aren't easy to snap unless one goes around in a certain order."

The exact reason I do not want snaps! Too much trouble to adjust them, and hard to snap after a season or two.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Not sure where you would find this but one of my hatch screens has a lead bead sewn into the bottom to hold it in place, the other has a SS chain. Maybe Sailrite would have it or Beacon. I'd for sure put screens in.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I know I already posted my idea but the heavy rope that I sewed around the edge of mine has worked like a charm.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Your biggest problems are going to arise (if you cruise) when winds pipe up 30+ keeping it in place. Those who are using snaps will tuck in and worry not while others will be trying to hang on to the covers not securely fastened. Yeah the snaps are a pain at times but...... One doesn't have to put the snaps on in a position that they cannot be used.

74385E

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 22 Cincinnati
I have a Cal 22 Canvas Top for sale

I see lots of catalina 22 for sale that have pop top camper canvas with the boat but I've searched all over the net and have yet to find any for sale.

I'm sure these arent custom made surely there are mass marketed by someone.

Anyway any advice?
I have a 1989 top for sale. Excellent condition and priced to sell.
Please contact me at: stevenpabel.llc@gmail.com
or by phone @ 513-382-9756
Best,
Steve Abel

Status
Not open for further replies.