Where or where to install that depthsounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I had a transducer installed the last time I pulled the boat (1988 Mark II wing-keel), but never mounted the depth sounder. I have no other instruments on board, that is a wind indicator or knot meter. I looked for a single instrument pod for my Edson pedestal steering unit, but no luck. So I am looking at optional locations. Although I have never liked the bulkhead mounted look because of the mess inside the cabin (wires, covers, etc), I wonder if something has come out in the market that neatly hides this stuff on the inside or someone can chime in and show me just how they achieved an a nice look inside.

So I am seeking any suggestions based on others experience(s). Near the helmsmans seat may work, but that could be a tough install.

Anyone?

Thanks
Bob
Lake Lanier, GA

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I made a bracket out of teak on my boat to install my Autopilot and the GPS. It was cheaper than buying one and it looks descent.

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Don't know what type of transducer that you had installed, but I mounted a new sender to mate with my Garmin 440s GPS Plotter unit. The Garmin unit displys the depth on the corner of the GPS readout /screen. This doesn't require any extra wiring other than hooking up the sounder cable to the back of the unit in the cockpit. Since most sailors use GPS these days this is the way to go in my opinion. Less mess & fuss, & its nice to have all my information readouts located in one place. Mine is mounted to a teak plate at the binnacle. My 2 c worth.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Edson has a number of brackets that can be attached to a pedestal guard and then with a little craftiness, you can figure out how to attach your depth sounder head to it, or they also have instrument pods to accept different heads. There is another company out there who also has similar products, but I cannot recall their name right now.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I would think that mounting via the pedestal has its challenges with running wires, cutting holes, etc. If I were to install a knotmeter or GPS system I would definitely go that route. But for my purposes on the Lake, a depth sounder is all I need. Actually, when I look at all possibilities its either the bulkhead or mounting the unit on the starboard side between the end of the captains seat and the starboard lazarette. On the Mark II its a "T" shaped cockpit area and an area is open for a speaker or instrument. Its a tight space though and I have to wonder just how accessible. Maybe I am still missing some other options.....

Thanks

Bob

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
have you tried navtech? that's who catalina uses and they were of great help to me.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I would think that mounting via the pedestal has its challenges with running wires, cutting holes, etc. If I were to install a knotmeter or GPS system I would definitely go that route. But for my purposes on the Lake, a depth sounder is all I need. Actually, when I look at all possibilities its either the bulkhead or mounting the unit on the starboard side between the end of the captains seat and the starboard lazarette. On the Mark II its a "T" shaped cockpit area and an area is open for a speaker or instrument. Its a tight space though and I have to wonder just how accessible. Maybe I am still missing some other options.....

Thanks

Bob
Bob, our boat came with three Datamarine stand alone instruments: speed and wind on the binnacle and the depthsounder on the vertical face of the cockpit coaming just around the height of the seats on the starboard side. We have the T cockpit arrangement. No reason you can't use that space you described for yours. I have found this to be quite useable. Most people like all their instrumentation to be right there in front of them, and I can understand that reasoning, but don't find our setup to be a problem at all. The GPS feature described earlier also has its advantages, but I refuse to be a slave behind the wheel and use a handheld Garmin GPSMap 76Cx, which nestles quite comfortably in a white plastic/starboard holder on the binnacle guard ss rail.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Thanks Stu....
That is an excellent location, but access might be tough unless I go via the captains bench well where the propane is stored. I do not need to stare at instruments all day. Anyways that location would be better for hiding the wiring and on the same side as the electrical panel in the cabin. Ditto on the GPS. When I was cruising the ICW back in the 80's a chart and a pair of good binoculars was all you needed. "Red right returning". It was Loran for offshore work. If I had to invest, it would be a pocket sized Garmin. But then I could always use a Walker's log for speed and have the wife drop a leadline for depth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Jan 6, 2010
Bob,

Barnacle has the same Edson aluminum shelf I have. On the port side mounted to the shelf, I have a Garmin chartplotter mounted. On the STBD side, I have a Garmin fishfinder installed.

Just below the shelf (port) I made a polyprop. bracket on which my autopilot is mounted. The bracket connects to the guard handrail & supported with a connection around the pedestal. The GPS bracket thus sets at a 45° angle facing aft.

Both the GPS & fishfinder swivel, so I can see them from behind the wheel or sitting forward in the cockpit, very handy as you don't always want to be behind the wheel to steer & navigate.

I don't have a POD system, so I installed 3 connectors just off the port side of the binacle on the vertical side of the bench. I have 3 connectors located there. I don't have a t-shaped cockpit so there is no interference.

I custom cut my cable lengths. I connect to the instruments and use a velcro wrap around the pedestal to gather the cables before running to my connectors. The cables have never been a problem what with interference, and this setup doesn't look bad.

I never leave my instruments mounted and always take them home with me or just leave em inside. Running the cables for your instruments can be alot easier than you think, What with the deep lazarette, cable runs are fairly easy.

CR

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Thanks Cap....I will take a look and see what room I have around the compass and the pedestal area.

Bob

Jan 6, 2010
Bob,

I will be at my boat today between the thunderstorms. I can take some photos to give you a better visual if you want pal. Let me know shortly...

CR

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
in the May/June issue of Good Old Boat there was an article about making a nav pod that you may want to look at and get some ideas...i think its on page 34 called affordable housing......

regards

woody

Status
Not open for further replies.