Where is the wiring

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Finally got up courage to drill down through cabin top on the Cat 22 (1983) to find the original wiring and put in a connector. Well I drilled both at the 6 inch out and 2 inch back location and at a dimple area just a little forward of the first one with not joy. Anybody got any ideas? All rest of wiring is where it is supposed to be in cabin, pulpit, stern etc and all is working just fine. I am posting two pix of top and inside locations of my holes. Any help or even a picture of where anybody's factory connector appears inside or outside would help. Catalina in Largo is doing research for me but have not heard back yet. underside in cabin.jpg on cabin top relation to mast step.jpg

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Pray tell what wiring are you looking for in the cored fiberglass? I see your thru-deck gland right next to the ruler in the topside picture and the coorisponding wires on the bottom side picture. Given what I'm seeing there should be no more wires to the mast. Have you located all the wires on the top side (anchor, steaming?, deck? and ground)?

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Yeah...what the heck are you doing? I'm not coming up with a good reason for putting large holes all the way through your cored deck. That is not an easy fix.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Your wiring is not set up like mine. I have a coax coupler deck mounted and a five wire coupler deck mounted just in front of the mast. Both stainless. Both water tight. And both factory. Looks like your boat came without those fittings and someone ran some trailer connectors to the mast. Since the fittings aren't there I doubt the factory wire is. Inside the cabin both wire and coax emerge just below deck top connectors and both wires go into my stainless compression post where they emerge under sink and begin their runs aft. I want to replace coax but its going to be a bear feeding it through compression post as everything is very tight inside post.

I would buy good quality marine connectors if I were you. Fill your holes with them even if you have to fabricate a washer plate out of stainless. I would not keep drilling.

Lane

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I found the two wires finally from underneath, only one white and one black, not where the manual said they were, first check showed no voltage reaching them, previous owner had installed the two wires seen in pix through the cabin top and just hit the end of the black wire of the harness. Since I need at least 3 wires I will run a triplex or quad bundle from the hole already drilled by me through the cabin top and use the badly drilled hole of the previous owner for a barrel connector for the VHF cable to the radio. It was little messy drilling below to locate the factory wires but good news is I only have two holes in cabin and I will be using both so all works out in the end. Just cosmetic repair on liner which is minor. But thanks for the help and comments. Will include this in my ongoing thread about commissioning and maintenance of my 83 Cat 22. BTW the picture of base and connector from Bushav doesnt't match my cabin top and step. And for Bill Roosa you cannot control a steaming light and a anchor light separately with only the two wires the PO installed. I have to choose one or the other and switch connectors right now.