Where is the best place for propane tanks on a Challenger?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I currently have 2 CNG bottles located in the aft end of the port cockpit locker. I like the set up but the cost to exchange tanks is ridiculous. 50.00/ per 20 hour tank. We use one bottle in less than a week, we use the stove and oven alot while onboard.

For a future conversion to LPG, I am thinking the area below the aft deck makes sense. If space is there, two tanks located just aft of the deck box would be ideal with a hatch cover over the air tight locker and a vent out just under the counter.

Next option may be under the deck box if more depth is needed.This locker could concievably be open at the top and be accessible at the bottom of the deck box. LPG overflow would simply go out under the deck box and over board. A drain in the bottom to a counter vent. The box could still be used for dock lines etc. and tank valves still accessible under these stored items. Space may conflict with the back stay structure, not sure yet.

I don't want the tanks ondeck, anyone found a good space? I am thinking 2 10 gallon tanks would be more than ample and supply a future appliance as well.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
deck box

I plan on using the deck box and putting a shut off valve in the box. This seems the safest to me. I'm a little paranoid about lpg as I cruised with someone that told us a story about blowing up his boat with LPG once.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
My deck box isn't big enough, if it was I would do the same.

This one is not wide or deep enough for 10 pound tanks. Black Pearl has an interesting set up with the tanks mounted sideways into the deck box. I haven't seen any other set ups on these boats.

Is your box bigger David or are you thinking of smaller tanks?

I won't be doing this conversion this year, hopefully I'll find an easy solution on another boat.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
deck box

I was thinking of building a custom deck box to hold two tanks. That'll be a while though.

A

Anonymous

Propane tanks on Whisper

Whisper has a deck box immediately behind the cockpit that holds two horizontal propane tanks. They were originally 10 lb. steel tanks, but I replaced them with aluminum ones. There is a drain to the stern to vent any leak, a solenoid and a two-tank valve to select the tanks. It is convenient to open to shut off the tank valve when the boat is unattended. The box is also a good place to sit when the cockpit fills up with people.

I have thought about putting the tanks below the stern deck, but prefer to avoid any potential leak into the belowdecks.

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
Propane Locker

I just replaced my propane locker on Black Pearl. We found enough room on the after deck to put a 20lb tank. I will be getting pictures of the installation to put up on my web site next week. The old system was to cumbersome and they were 2 - 8lb bottles. This shoud work better and is out of the way. For long trips I will have to carry a spare on deck.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
This is great to have this board!

I will rethink my idea for a locker. The deck box makes alot of sense, it may take a new one to get two tanks of 10pounds each but the set up is then simple, open bottom to drain LPG over board.

On the other hand I look forward to seeing the new arrangement on Black Pearl. That sounds interesting, in fact, one 20 pound tank is not such a bad idea for our boat.

20 pounds is alot of LPG and the 20 pd tanks are easy to refill or even exchange if a metal one will work(why not, you get a new one each time?)
20 pounds of LPG must be equivalent to around 6 or 8 CNG bottles.

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
Propane

I just replaced the propane locker on Black Pearl. I will have pictures in a week. The tanks on deck were in the way and we were able to find enough room for a 20Lb tank under the aft deck. This gives me more propane than I had before, but on long trips I will probably have to carry a spare on deck.