Where I can find info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan

Hello there, As you understand by the nature of my question I'm just getting involved, so do not laugh much about such a question. When you go out sailing for some extended distance where you get information on the waters you are approaching, possible docking, refueling and so on. Are there any special maps with such info available? If so where can I find those? Right now I'm talking about Great Lakes, but in the future out in Atlantic, Europe and so on. Thanks, Dan.

K

Ken Palmer

Where do you live?

Large cities may have a West Marine or Boat/US retail store. They sell books that list all that you asked about with charts and information. If you live near a marina, somebody there can usually guide you to the nearest store. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

E

Eric Lorgus

You're looking for a cruising guide

Try www.bluewaterweb.com or any place that sells marine publications.

E

Ed Schenck

And radio.

When you are sailing keep your VHF turned up on channel 16. You will hear others calling to marinas for assistance with fuel, groceries, overnight space, water depth, etc. The cruising guides often list a channel that the marina listens on, but a call on 16 and a switch to an other channel is appropriate.

J

Jay Kent

Books with Photos

Most of the chain marine stores have books that show each marina in a given geographic area. They are great reference books, as they have aerial photos of the waters leading into a marina, the marina itself, etc. They, also, give VHF radio information and phone numbers, too. The latter can be handy if you have a cell phone, etc. The investment in a book of this nature pays big dividends.

Status
Not open for further replies.