Where have you seen rain water infiltration/leaks on Oceanis 41/45?

Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
We’ve had small amounts of fresh water in the bilge for some time. This is an almost 10 year old boat. We thought it was from the forward water tank, before the pressurized section since the water pressure pump never cycles. We then had water dripping from the ceiling forward of the mast, which was obvious wire gaskets, and fixed it, thinking that was it. A season later we have water at “waist” height showing up on the starboard side on the forward cabin AND on the port side in the aft cabin (3 cabin model). Yes, completely opposite sides. It is soaking the edge of the wood boards on the respective berths. it eventually drains to the bilge.

I'm wondering where other oceanis 41/45 owners have seen water leaks and rain coming in. Because I see on opposite ends of the boat I'm wondering if I have two problems, perhaps similar. What's more likely? Side window seals? Stanchion bases? Jib car tracks? The wooden side rails along the boat length? Something else?

Amount of water was a very thin stream (more than a drip) after washing the deck with a hose with plenty of water but also a winter of rain. Some water had pooled at those sites for a while since the wood darkened and felt wet.

Appreciate any ideas of the source and ideas on how to track it.

May 31, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Ah... leaks in a 10 yr old Beneteau...... My biggest problems have been the main windows in the saloon coming away (both port and starboard windows.... 4 in total). Difficult to see until you pull them away a little.. then there are miles of tiny gaps. I've also had a leak somewhere near the filler for the forward water tank... but never isolated it. Re-sealing the windows... nasty job. Lots on here for what tape and gunge to use. Keep us posted as your searches continue!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I once replaced the clutch on the furling line on a 423, the owner questioned my use of Butyl tape so I suggested running a hose on deck which resulted in a stream of water into aft cabin. The leak was at the lifeline gate stanchion installed with no sealant, washer and missing the nut, just the pressure of the stanchion against the side of hole in deck was all that was holding it.:facepalm: