Where have you sailed your sirius?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Apr 6, 2011
Sirius 21 Toronto
I'm thinking of sailing my sirius from Toronto, ON, to Coubourg ON or Kingston ON. Has anyone gone long distances with a sirius? What about foul weather?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
No reason you couldn't. I would stay closer to shore than heading out into the middle of the lake, so you can duck in if something starts brewing. Make sure you check the weather forecasts for the day and longer range. Also take a VHF and check the forecasts as you go. There are a few marinas along the way, so be aware of where they are and how far / long to get to shelter or safety if needed.

Ahab

Apr 6, 2011
Sirius 21 Toronto
Those are all great ideas that I will make use of.

I'm still wondering what experiences others have had. Has anyone crossed Lake ON or another large body of water?

rwb

Apr 23, 2009
2 Sirius21 North Bay
sailing adventures

Beyond your main question, I posted a similar question as to where folks sail but didn't get much feedback. Maybe we can on this forum. Where do our members sail? The Sirius owners are well spread out so maybe we all can exchange some sailing stories.

Scott's comments are well worth following no matter if it a day sail or longer. Weather can sure ruin your day.

Sailing Lake Ontario can be a fantastic adventure. When ever we visit Belleville I spend many hours at the marinas there. Close friends of ours who sail their 31 foot Catalina out of Toronto mentioned the beauty of Cobourg and it's worth a stop. By all means check out Cobourg it's a fantastic port of call. I would love to move to there, very nice.

Well as far as our sailings we are from North Bay Ontario and sail exclusively on Lake Nipissing.....We own a 1979 Sirius, sail number 227 and moor at the North Bay waterfront marina for the season. Most of our sails are local day sails or weekends out to the Manitou Islands 6 miles out from North Bay where there is a beautiful beach. Our longest sail was to the upper French River a 6 day trip that was fantastic. This took us 25 miles from home, we did not sail the full length as time was limited on our vacation time. The upper French is a look alike to the North Channel, many bays and islands with few other boaters. Nipissing is a fair size lake, due to it being a long shallow lake it can blow up in a heart beat with big waves so weather forcasts are well listened to.

Enjoy your sailings on Lake Ontario and I hope others will post their location and their sailing areas. Have a great season....Bob

Those are all great ideas that I will make use of.

I'm still wondering what experiences others have had. Has anyone crossed Lake ON or another large body of water?

Ahab

Apr 6, 2011
Sirius 21 Toronto
Thanks Bob, I enjoyed reading about your sailing adventures. I’m intrigued by the French River, with its bays and few other boaters. I will keep it in mind as a future destination.

As for me, I sail a Sirius named Rusulka on Lake Ontario. My sister and I co-own the boat, and we mostly sail it together in and around the Toronto Harbor, making frequent trips to Toronto Island. Lake Ontario can get very rough, and one of my most memorable sails was a narrow escape from the jagged rocks off the south western tip of Toronto Island (The first time I ever took my future wife out sailing) I definitely want to go further this year, and recently took a course in coastal navigation for that purpose.

Rusulka once belonged to my dad. We lived up north when we were younger and sailed it on Remi Lake in Moonbeam Ontario. Not sure if I can recommend Remi Lake because in childhood I thought sailing was boring.

AH

Apr 12, 2007
Sirius 21 Barrie ON
I have my boat slipped on Lake Simcoe for the season. I have trailered up to the North Channel for about 3 years running. I go up for a week at a time and join the Trailer Sailor Association cruise, the last 2 weeks in July. Unfortunately I won't make it this year, with great sadness! The vacation schedule just didn't work out this year.

It is my hope this year to travel down to Pensacola FL for the B.E.E.R. cruise the first of June. I went 5 years ago with my Sandpiper 565, and had a great time

The Sirius is a great boat to enjoy these ventures on.

Sail on

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.