where does the water go???

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Munson

I have just finished my first cruise on our new 1991 h 30. during the night i realized that the toilet was not put in the Dry Bowl position which caused the bowl to fill and flood the head. the head has a drain for the shower. My question is where does the water for the drain go? I does not appear to go to the bilge or the galley sink through hull. also the water from the stuffing box and the bilge under the engine does not appear to go to the bilge pump either. what gives? Help

D

Doug

Two years in production

probably makes a difference but on my 1989 H30 the shower drain from the head feeds directly to the bilge from the port side. I imagine you would have seen water in your bilge if your boat was set up this way though.

J

John

Tween Hull and liner

That "stuff" may have gone into pockets between the outer hull and inner liner. If so, it could stay in there for some time before it works its way out or dries up. Consider chasing that bad water with some really good odor control bilge cleaner ( see on this website, Peggy Hall, Head Mistress, she'll know).

J

Jim McCue

The black hole

It's making its way slowly to the bilge- When you heel it will make it thru some of the out of center rib drain holes. You may want to to "hard wire" the drains to the bilge with conduit from the shower hole to the bilge. J. McCue

E

Ed Munson

Jim...two bilges?

jim, I don't get it...does it have two bilges? also does the fluid under the engine go anywhere?

E

Eric Lorgus

Here's how it works on the 28.5

I have a 87H28.5. Inside the bottom of the hull are several ribs, which have the effect of damming water from flowing from any point to the deep bilge, which is at the forward connection of the keel. The deep bilge has an electric bilge pump. The shower and the ice box on my boat drain directly to the deep bilge. The pan beneath the engine is one of those areas where water gets "dammed up", but my understanding is that this is to prevent oil and/or fuel, which may also be present here, from being pumped overboard by the bilge pump. I tend to accumulate small amounts of water underneath my engine, mostly from checking the flow on the Kingston valve before starting. There may be a little bit coming from the stuffing box, too. As for the advice that heeling tends to uncover hidden water, I can attest to that. On my boat, I've concluded that it must come from the water under the engine that spills over the rib that retains it, and then gets into the next section of the bilge, which does not drain anywhere by itself. My solution has been to keep the area under the engine as water-free as possible.

B

Bruce

bilge magic?

The 92 I have has several "fluid" collection areas that are not factory connected to the bilge. The pan under the engine is not connected, thank the spirits, nor the pan under the shaft collecting the lube water..this allows you to really calibrate the stuffing box flow. Further, the shower/head drain feeds another isolated pan. Interestingly, I did the same thing last weekend and found most of the water in another isolated "pan" astern of the head compartment where my head pumpout thruhull is located. The was filled with water raising the possibility of a leaky thruhull...only to find the water came from the overflowing head. I like these isolated catch basins...improves monitoring of events under the floorboards!

J

Jim McCue

you've got the idea

I have a 28.5 and I think Eric explains the rib dam which I probably didn't detail very well. It appears some non28.5's have isolated collection points. I hate the shipping of old water in the ribs and found that my conduit approach has dried things out well. I've also installed a bilge alarm which beeps whenever I pump water. Before I wouldn't know in the cockpit if I had a problem cause I couldn't hear the Rule pump. This way I know if I'm having a problem if it beeps too often. Jim

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Have we missed part of the problem here?

Ed: I understand your concern about were the water goes but what about your head? I can leave the valve on mine open and the head has NEVER overflowed (it seems to accumulate a little extra water). This is a sure fire way to sink your boat. I think this should be referred to Peggie Peal and see what she has to say about the performance of the head. I am curious does everyones head have this same problem with overflowing when the valve is NOT in the dry position? Maybe is has to do with the relationship of the head to the waterline?

elle

Sep 13, 1996
Rhodes 22 Northern Neck of Virginia
Ours does

When the lever is in the left position for a time, it overflows!

E

Eric Lorgus

Head overflow depends on the waterline

I have a 87H285. I bought it last season and was completely unaware of the dry & pump positions on the head. But I learned. On my boat, the head will flood if the valve is left in the "pump" position. I've never had the head overflow, although it gets very close. I assume this is because the top of the head is right about at the waterline.

M

Marc Honey

Read "vented-loop"

Had all the above problems with head "over-flow" until I installed a vented loop per Peggie Hall's advice. She knows her "stuff"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.