Where Do you keep your Dingy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I will target the 310 owners as storage space, and deck space have a lot to do with this question, but will always respect answers from all.

At the boat show a new, larger air deck dingy called out to my wife :eek: and I did not have the heart to say "no dear were fine with our little roll up and 2 HP motor", so the new boat entered our life, with 6 HP 4 stroke, and all the goodies. After blowing the boat up in the family room, and repackaging it first thing noted was, this will no longer fit in the locker for storage, and will need to be stored some place else, maybe inflated for ease of use, and out of the water to keep the scum off, and water out.

So where and how do you store your dingy, and how do you bring her on deck if that is where it is stored.

Thanks - Russ

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I store mine on a dinghy rack on shore (with a cover) and tow it when cruising. If in the water for much more than 2 or 3 days I might flip it over at the transom and use the deck brush it get any stuff off. It always stays inflated-9 1/2' Achilles with a wood floor-somewhat a pain to put together but I knew when I bought it wouldn't be deflated often if ever; just let a bit of air out when stored in the summer heat. I have a motor hoist which helps a lot.

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
I carry a WM 310, fiberglass bottom RIB which is around 9' long with a 6hp outboard. When off shore the dinghy gets hauled on deck using the spinnaker halyard. I typically do this alone but it is definitely easier with a helper. The dinghy is lashed upside down forward of the mast with the bow of the dinghy facing forward. The outboard lies on its side in the cockpit locker for long offshore trips or gets hung on the rail for short trips. I have enough stuff in the locker to firmly wedge the outboard in. When I am making coastal hops or jumping in and out of the ICW during good weather I usually tow the dinghy behind with the motor attached. I am considering a set of Garhauer davits this year for coastal cruising.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Up front

Tow it for short or protected trips, but we put the walkerbay 8 up front on longer trips or in iffy weather.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
In the Garage for the off season, on season, on my boat lift on my dock, hanging from the davits when we are on the move.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We store our Walker Bay 8 upside down on the foredeck for the off season or during heavy weather when we are cruising. Otherwise, we carry the dinghy on davits. The spare jib halyard works fine for lifting the dinghy onto the foredeck.

Aug 24, 2009
Am I missing something...

Long Story

paulj :troll:
Even though the name is Russ, call me stupid if you want to? :confused: I am confuesd even with photos :doh:. You swing your dink up on deck and bag it? Are you tied down in any way to be secure to the deck? Are you on the coach house or between house and deck? For you people that responded you store on deck, flipped over, where do you tie off, and do you block under the transom? This should be so easy, but last year during a storm there were two flying dingy's in our marine :eek: that left the deck of their respective boats, did some interesting flips and flops.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Even though the name is Russ, call me stupid if you want to? :confused: I am confuesd even with photos :doh:. You swing your dink up on deck and bag it? Are you tied down in any way to be secure to the deck? Are you on the coach house or between house and deck? For you people that responded you store on deck, flipped over, where do you tie off, and do you block under the transom? This should be so easy, but last year during a storm there were two flying dingy's in our marine :eek: that left the deck of their respective boats, did some interesting flips and flops.
When we store our dinghy on deck, it is upside down forward of the mast. The transom of the dinghy rests on cushions at the mast base, and the bow of the dinghy rests on the anchor locker. We secure the stern of the dinghy with lines to the forward shroud mounts. The bow is secured with lines to the bow cleats. In addition, we pass a heavy line over the dinghy about amidships and secure it to stanchion bases. This arrangement has worked well in high winds and heavy seas.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Gee, all this time that's what I thought those teak handrails were for...:):):)

I'd rather have root canal work on all my teeth than tie anything to a stanchion. Have ya ever had to rebed those suckers? Access to the bolts and nuts down below on ANY boat is just bad news. There should be NOTHING connected to a stanchion other than lifelines, and people coming on board should be dustbinned if they even so much as think of touching stanchions.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Not to hyjack the thread, but why boat manufactures insist on not using detachable stantions I will never understand. A simple system of a deck plate with a stub welded to it that would protrude into the center of the stanchion ~2" with a horizontal locking pin would be so simple. Winter time...cover...just pop'em off...want to bring your dink on deck...just pop'em off.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Gee, all this time that's what I thought those teak handrails were for...:):):)

I'd rather have root canal work on all my teeth than tie anything to a stanchion. Have ya ever had to rebed those suckers? Access to the bolts and nuts down below on ANY boat is just bad news. There should be NOTHING connected to a stanchion other than lifelines, and people coming on board should be dustbinned if they even so much as think of touching stanchions.
Yeah, Stu, I did have to replace one of the stanchions on my 310. When I bought the boat, the forward starboard stanchion was broken, so the PO gave me a new one. It actually wasn't that bad a job. The backing plate was drilled and tapped, so all I did was take out the screws, bed the new stanchion, and put in the old screws. The 310 stanchions have a z-shaped base, so it is possible to pass a line under the base, which makes for a strong attachment point for the dinghy tie downs. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I won't be back to the boat until the end of May. And, yes, I have found that you must remind folks to not push on the stanchions when they are helping you leave the dock.

Aug 24, 2009
Get some Davits and simplify your life.
Okay, so looking at what is out there, let's talk davits and what works for people. I kind of like the clamp on, easy off units... any suggestions?

By the way, my marina will add lines to boats during a blow, and I was always surprised that they would use the stanchion as an attachment point to the dock, always right at the base but still I was always told avoid load at all cost, or deal with leaks.

Replacement on a 310 easy? Come on you have to cut glass away from the flange just to get to that big nut under the deck... I spent the better part of a day just going around my boat with a zip tool making cuts behind the trim to allow for future removal / re-bedding. (unless someone has a simple way to do it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.