Where can I find features of the different 26 mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce

Hello. Does anyone know where I can find the differences of the 26's? Wondering what the S X D designation means. I am in the market for a 26... Thanks a lot.

J

Jeff G

Try this website

Have you looked on www.macgregor-boats.com? It's a collection of personal websites, scanned owners manuals,photos, etc. Surf around on it and you may find what you need.

73mensailed

mac 26 S D X

First Jeff gave you an excellant link. The original brochures and specs can be found there, plus a lot of owners pics and reviews. After MacGregor ceased production on the 25 they came up with the 26d. d means daggerboard. Then came the 26s, s=swing keel. Now the new generation 26x. We have a '92 26s, so my opinion may be one sided but here goes. Our boat is the best investment we ever made. When my wife and I get out we can leave all the household worries behind. I feel that the 26s and d are more true of a sailboat than the X. A sailboat should not be able to pull a skier and a powerboat should not have a mast. But it does satisfy a need in the community for that type of family boat. There are many who will swear by them (theX's), but I feel that they "lumber" along rather than gliding through the water. More like an RV. If that's what your looking for then you'll have a fine one in the 26x. If your looking for more pure sailing pleasure, along with better speed and performance, the 26s is the way to go. With a main up and a 160% Genoa, there isn't a 26x that can keep up. There are a lot of them on the market and fairly well equipped for 9-12k. If cost is an issue, you'll fine a 26x quite a bit more. Take your time. Do some "test drives" if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.