where and how do I install a bilge pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2006
Catalina 22 Ypsilanti, MI
My old but well cared for 76' c-22 needs another bilge pump installed( I think ) so where ans how to do it ? And is it more important than the cockpit thru hull scuppers for safety ?

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Bilge pump?

Hi, First, I assume that you have water entering into the hull. Find the leak. The bilge pump is only as good as it's power source and also rather dependant on the size of the leak. I'd install one in the lowest possible space of the boat. This may be by the volcano, underneath the floor liner or at the place in the bilge where the front of the keel attaches. The scuppers do a different service than a bilge pump. Generally bilge pumps remove water from the cabin area. The scuppers empty the cockpit of water from rain or excessive heeling. You may consider adding the transom scuppers to your old style from CD. They drain the cockpit somethng like 6 times faster than the through hull ones and they don't clog nearly as easily. BTW: the through hull scupper lines can be one source of water leakage in the bilge.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Pump

Most C22's don't have a bilge pump. I installed an electrical pump in my 1975 C22 about 10 years ago and have never had to use it. It is on near the battery near the keel winch at lowest part of boat, usually. In hindsight, I think a small hand pump would be adequate, and I have used a sponge a few times because of rain water or once from knockdown which allowed water to enter thru the rear vent. RK

BPeach

Jan 21, 2006
- - Newport News, Virginia
bilge pump

PHRF of the Chesapeake requires Category IV safety equipment which includes a hand operated bilge pump that empties to the outside with ALL hatches and lockers closed. Has anyone installed one mounted in the cockpit and where would one locate the discharge line? All my other sailboats came with this installed at the factory. Thanks, Bill Peach # 3482

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Pump

Hi Bill, I'm not sure why you'd need a bilge pump in the cockpit of a C-22. By your sail number, you have an old style and although you can benefit from adding the rear scuppers, your forward scuppers can be adequate for clearing the cockpit as long as the drains are clean. Now a bilge pump located in the lowest part of the cabin hull can be routed to drain almost anywhere including having a line out through a self-closing through transom scupper mounted out the stern.

W

watercolors

Hand pump

Mount in cockpit seat, in an area where can be operated without interfering with helmsman. Mount midpoint and up so youÕre not working it next to the floor. Intake would be the lowest area of the hull, just about dead center of the keel trunk, either side. Discharge would be through the stern, above the waterline. You do not want water entering the system from the outside or have to push water against outside water. http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=529

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
coast boats

a few of my friends boats on the gulf had hand pumps installed before the were sold. All were just as watercolors describe pumps were on the port side, with the exit out the stern.

Status
Not open for further replies.