When to replace furling Genoa with number 3 jib?

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
I have a standard roller furling Genoa and also a number 3 jib fitted with slides so that it can be hoisted in place of the Genoa and used in heavier weather.Much heavier cloth.I chose not to use it recently and had two reefs in main and Genoa rolled down to the first spot. Over canvassed in about 25 knots and higher gusts.Yesterday I used my #3 jib in lighter winds (about 20 knots with higher gusts) with no main (though I considered it).I was on the wind with the jib sheeted flat and the boat went like a train with wind over 20 knots.I would have been fine with the double or even single reefed main but wanted to try out the jib-only sail plan.The only negative is the ****ing around swapping the sails.So how strong must the expected mean wind speed be before you take your furling Genoa down and replace with a smaller jib?John V1447 Breakaway
Get
TypeApp for Android

Oct 14, 2014
Hi John, The Vega handbook on the UK Vega association web site has a useful guide suggesting sail plans for given wind speeds. It might be helpful. Regards, Nigel. 1840

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Thanks Nigel.

I have the Vega handbook somewhere.Just wondering what people do in practice.Unfurling, dropping, folding and bagging the furling Genoa takes some time, especially when the wind is strong and gusty - exactly when it makes sense to change down to a small jib!Hoisting and furling the small jib (#3) is quick and easy..JohnGet
TypeApp for Android