when lighting strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul M

Does anybody know any info on, or has anybody ever experienced being on the open water when a lighting storm occurs with a 29 foot metal mast above you, If it hits the mast are we cooked, unlike a car they say were safe causes were not grounded. What do you do, motor home, anchor and go below??, any and all comments are very welcome PAUL M

D

dan

Lightening in the Desert

Hi Paul....... We get lightening storms just about everyday from mid June to mid August. They occur in the afternoon and last a few hours. When I see thunder clouds forming I drag a piece of copper buss bar(1/4"x2"x12")in the water attached to the backstay with 4AWG cable. This prevents the buildup of static electricity which will also ZAP you if not grounded to the water.I have been told that battery cables will also work for a temp water ground. I also have a "DC Block" in the VHF coax to isolate the radio. The strike will go down your stay wires and to ground in the water. Keep clear of rigging. If sailing.....REEF SAILS and head for your slip or anchorage. As the storm comes and goes the wind will gust violently. Just sit it out. At the slip I leave the water ground in all the time for protection. I have also been WARNED not to attach a ground plate to the hull. This gives the lightening a place to BLOW a hole in your boat ! I have also been ZAPPED on shore while derigging with static electricity. Here you pound a ground rod in to the ground. Attach a battery cable to the forestay and the trailer BEFORE you start derigging if thunder clouds are present. happy sailing.......and be safe......dan

B

Brian

Great Tips

I've been on my boat when it was hit by lighting. I was in the slip sitting on the berth during a thunderstorm and watched the electricity run down thru the stays into the chainplate in the cabin. Definately scary, but it didn't hurt me. Thanks for the tips Dan.

B

Bob Trail

Lightning and sailboats

I highly recommend this downloadable article: Lightning and Sailboats by Ewen Thomson, Dept Of Electrical Engineering, University of FL http://www.thomson.ece.ufl.edu/lightning/SGEB17.html They have a nice video for $15 also http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/as04800.html If you have any experience with lightning please let Ewen Thomson know about it.

M

Michael Shomate

I use 4 cables

I bought 2 pair of jumper cables at Wal-Mart, cut one clamp off each wire and split each pair. I now have 4 cables with a clamp on one end only of each. At the first sight of lightning or a threatening cloud, I get out the "jumpers" and attach one to each stay, throwing the other end into the water. I was given this idea by another, more experienced than I, but I havn't been hit yet. Happy sailing. -MIke-

Status
Not open for further replies.