Wheel

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
I am trying to locate a new or used steering wheel. I would like to find one that is similar to what originally came with the Challenger. Any suggestions?

Jun 28, 2004
Whisper has a tiller. The Challenger that Tristan Jones sailed had one too. I believe that it was also a Palmer Johnson boat. Advantages of a tiller include: better sailing feel, more fun, ability to steer while under dodger in bad weather, more room in cockpit, no steering gear to break or need repair, ease in rigging self steering (as Jones did in Indian Ocean) or tiller autopilot. Disadvantages: ?

Are there any other Challengers with tillers?

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
Where is your compass mounted. I like the idea of a tiller for all the reasons you stated.

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Edson makes two beautiful wheels. There is a 24" teak spoked wheel and they make a 26" teak spoked wheel with a teak surround. Both are really expensive $2,356 and $3,043 respectly.

Suggest that you check out Newport Nautical Consignment in wickford RI.
www.marineconsignment.com. Look under consignment items. They show two teak wheels at $300 each. You may need to check the size and configuration of your hub and key.

Scott Kraft

Jun 28, 2004
Here are some pictures. The compass mounts on brackets on the bulkhead. There are brackets in the locker forward of the SB upper cabin berth to hold it when it's not out. (You can see the rust stains from the chainplate bracket there; there is a drain hole drilled at the bottom). At anchor we capture the tiller in the mainsheet to keep it out of the way and somewhat stationary. You can also see the mainsheet traveller that fits across the aft of the cockpit in front of the lazarettes - it was a very good addition.

Rick

Attachments