Wheel Steering Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie Shreeves

I want to install a wheel steering system on my boat and I have contacted Edison about their wheel systems. They want $1500+ S&H for the system. I am quite a handy person and have worked a lot with boats but I have never installed a wheel system before and I am not very close to any marine salvage yards. I would like to do it myself possibly with salvage parts. Does anyone have any advice about doing this? Where to buy parts (perhaps in NJ)? What parts I am going to need? Pictures of homebuilt systems? Anything and everything you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

D

D Berube

Installing your own!

I installed my own wheel steering on my Mac 22, with of course tiller backup, should I need it! Did it all myself, under 100 bucks! I dont know about NJ, but start by checking the salvage yards on line! Many parts, I got right at True Value hardware. It depends whether you are setting up for cable, or gears, or whatever! You can obtain gears and pulleys on line or I am sure around your town! A wheel off of a salvaged, damaged boat should not cost to much, and once you decide on design, and that you are willing to drill holes into your cockpit floor,the rest isn't to bad! You probably can do it yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.