Wheel size O’Day 28

Aug 9, 2019
O’Day 28 Titusville, FL
my O’Day 28 has a 28 inch wheel, which makes it really hard to get around when going forward. Is this normal, or should I invest in a new wheel?

Aug 9, 2019
O’Day 28 Titusville, FL
Thanks. Would there be any harm in reducing it to a 21 inch? I know there would be a reduction in leverage, but would it be that significant?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Thanks. Would there be any harm in reducing it to a 21 inch? I know there would be a reduction in leverage, but would it be that significant?
10 pounds of force at 28 inches is 23.3 foot pounds of torque. To achieve the same torque at 21 inches will take 14 pounds of force, so about a 40% increase. I’m sure that will be noticeable if you have heavy weather helm. Also, it probably means you won’t be able to reach the wheel, or at least have to stretch a lot farther, if steering from the combing, which I used to do all the time on the 28 for best visibility.

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Referencing the above.... it is possible if you can change the gearing/sprocket/lever arm below to match existing mech advantage. Probably more work/$$ than desired. For all that, you could possibly go to power assist hydraulic and use a power boat size wheel ; or consider a tiller? Lots of options mechanically. Aesthetically and ergonomically.....hmmmmm?

Aug 9, 2019
O’Day 28 Titusville, FL
You gotta love this forum! Thanks so much for your informed advice. I think it would be easier for me to drop 20 pounds to get my beer belly around the wheel.