Wheel pulling to port under power

Mar 5, 2009
Hunter 410 Penetang
I was wondering if your wheel pulls to port when under power. Mine is fine until 5.4 knots then the wheel wants to spin to port. I need to keep a hand on it or it will spin. Is this normal?

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
First off, It is not normal. When you say spin to port, are you talking spin like a round up spin that is uncontrollable or spin like, the boat wants to move that way unless you put gentle pressure on the wheel. Is this new or a problem that has been around for a while? Is there growth on the keel/rudder on one side but not the other?

You can find lots of info on this topic and places to start but I'm guessing there is something dragging, or you have a very out of balance wheel setup.

Check first to see if you have anything caught or which is dragging under the boat as well as the condition of the bottom. Either dive it yourself or find someone to do it for you. Then begin diagnosing things from there.

Good luck.

Sep 16, 2013
Hunter 43 Toronto
It is on my 92, Legend 43. At least I assumed it was. At 6 kts it’s quite pronounced under power but not there under sail. I chalked it up to propwash over the rudder. I’d be interested to hear other opinions though.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
How about under sail? How about if you shift to neutral? If it is only under engine power what is the condition of the propeller? Marine growth can foul the propeller and a fouled propeller can among other things make the boat strongly pull to one side. What are your RPM at 5.4 knots? If at maximum rated RPM your engine has ran out of thrust and other forces will take over. 5.4 knots under power is a respectable speed for a boat solely under power.

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It is perfectly normal on boats with a balanced rudder design.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I was wondering if your wheel pulls to port when under power. Mine is fine until 5.4 knots then the wheel wants to spin to port. I need to keep a hand on it or it will spin. Is this normal?
Not that I have ever noticed. I replaced my OEM 2 blade prop with a 3-blade Flex-O-Fold right at the start so maybe that makes a difference.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 certainly will take a “ Crazy Ivan” if you let go of the wheel under power.

not under sail, but definitely under power.

Greg

Mar 5, 2009
Hunter 410 Penetang
It is on my 92, Legend 43. At least I assumed it was. At 6 kts it’s quite pronounced under power but not there under sail. I chalked it up to propwash over the rudder. I’d be interested to hear other opinions though.
So at 6 knots you must apply constant pressure to stop the wheel from turning to port? You can’t let go for a second or two with out it turning the wheel?

Mar 5, 2009
Hunter 410 Penetang
Of course it is.

Is this a new-to-you boat? Is it your first inboard engine boat?
I rebuilt the rudder over the winter and I can’t remember if it did this before. At first I thought the pull was new, now I’m not sure. Goes straight as an arrow when put into neutral.

Mar 5, 2009
Hunter 410 Penetang
How about under sail? How about if you shift to neutral? If it is only under engine power what is the condition of the propeller? Marine growth can foul the propeller and a fouled propeller can among other things make the boat strongly pull to one side. What are your RPM at 5.4 knots? If at maximum rated RPM your engine has ran out of thrust and other forces will take over. 5.4 knots under power is a respectable speed for a boat solely under power.
Under sail or in neutral it is straight. I can let go of the wheel. Under power it starts at about 6 knots. I must maintain pressure and a hand on the wheel to stop the wheel from turning to port
Of course it is.

Is this a new-to-you boat? Is it your first inboard engine boat?
I rebuilt the rudder over the winter. I Was perhaps over sensitive to the feel when out for the first time. Lol at first I thought the pull was new. Now I’m not so sure. I pulled the boat and faired and sanded some more. It seems a bit better the pull was 4.7 knots now it’s apparent 5.4. The pull is constant at that speed and if you let go of the wheel It would spin to port. I must maintain a constant pressure to starboard on the wheel. So do you think this is normal ? And I just can’t remember from last year?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I rebuilt the rudder over the winter and I can’t remember if it did this before. At first I thought the pull was new, now I’m not sure. Goes straight as an arrow when put into neutral.
Then that in itself, @SecondWind, is extremely good news. Good work on the rebuild and noting your results. Since you don't recall if it did this before, the answer, most of us have determined from shared experiences, is that it most definitely did, 'cuz that's what we know happens to us.

The "Why" of this is long and can be found by reading up on "prop walk." Basic Physics 101. Fun, huh? :)

If you don't have an auotpilot, use the wheel lock only very slightly if you need to leave the wheel (I never ever crunch down on the lock). When I first got this boat, I simply recalled my old C22 and C25, where one had the tiller slightly offset when going to weather - weather helm --- (I know when sailing), but we were able to twist our outboards to make the helm stay centered when under power. Just can't do that trick with an inboard.

Thanks for letting us know how you got there, makes a lotta sense, and confirm the answers we've shared.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
With your engine engaged in forward, your prop produces starboard prop walk, the opposite of what you experience when in reverse. With a lot of power applied, the prop walk is significant, if you have a semi-balanced rudder, the swing of the stern to starboard causes the rudder to turn that way and then you also get a heavy dose of prop wash that accelerates the turning to port. You should never let go of an unlocked wheel while under power, its even worse if you are in reverse with any speed.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
My Catalina 28 MKII has the issue you describe. At six knots under power, if I let go of the wheel, she'll spin around within a couple boat lengths. Under sail at six knots the wheel is perfectly neutral.

My research has indicated this is a common issue on the Catalina 28.

It's annoying, but I deal with it.

I have a three blade prop, and I've heard that switching to a two blade prop may mitigate the situation on the C28, but I haven't seen anything definitive so I've stayed with the three.

Mar 5, 2009
Hunter 410 Penetang
Then that in itself, @SecondWind, is extremely good news. Good work on the rebuild and noting your results. Since you don't recall if it did this before, the answer, most of us have determined from shared experiences, is that it most definitely did, 'cuz that's what we know happens to us.

The "Why" of this is long and can be found by reading up on "prop walk." Basic Physics 101. Fun, huh? :)

If you don't have an auotpilot, use the wheel lock only very slightly if you need to leave the wheel (I never ever crunch down on the lock). When I first got this boat, I simply recalled my old C22 and C25, where one had the tiller slightly offset when going to weather - weather helm --- (I know when sailing), but we were able to twist our outboards to make the helm stay centered when under power. Just can't do that trick with an inboard.

Thanks for letting us know how you got there, makes a lotta sense, and confirm the answers we've shared.
Thanks Stu

Sep 16, 2013
Hunter 43 Toronto
So at 6 knots you must apply constant pressure to stop the wheel from turning to port? You can’t let go for a second or two with out it turning the wheel?
Yes it will immediately turn on itself within a boat length or two. Clean hull and prop. Not there in neutral or under sail.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Hi Dave,

I've been talking to Sandra about it too. I tested it out this weekend and have no pull at 2600 or 2800 RPM 5 -6 knots. On another note, did you replace the rudder shaft bearings when you had the rudder out? How hard were they to get out? My top bearing is getting pretty loud and loose. Thanks

Sep 16, 2013
Hunter 43 Toronto
Hi. I’ve never had the rudder out and don’t have any indication of wear in the bearings.
Just bought the boat 2 yrs ago and the pull wasidentified on the se trial but my surveyor said it was no big deal

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
My Catalina 28 MKII has the issue you describe. At six knots under power, if I let go of the wheel, she'll spin around within a couple boat lengths. Under sail at six knots the wheel is perfectly neutral.

My research has indicated this is a common issue on the Catalina 28.

It's annoying, but I deal with it.

I have a three blade prop, and I've heard that switching to a two blade prop may mitigate the situation on the C28, but I haven't seen anything definitive so I've stayed with the three.
Hi. I’ve never had the rudder out and don’t have any indication of wear in the bearings.
Just bought the boat 2 yrs ago and the pull wasidentified on the se trial but my surveyor said it was no big deal
I'd say the pull, to a great or lesser degree is common across most all sailboats. I owned a Benateau First 30E that if under power, you took your hand off the tiller it would spin a circle within its length, dumping the unwary into the deck. You learn not to do that.

You may see some boats with the prop shaft offset to starboard, ie not located on the centerline, I believe for the purpose of desining out this behavior.