Wheel or Tiller when buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

montenido

Hi all. I am brand new to this site and I am learning a lot by reading the posts and answers. I am currently looking for my first sailboat, and I have decided to make it a Catalina 30. I notice that they are offered with wheel or tiller steering. My sailing buddy insists on wheel steering, but I have seen lots of posts and articles that argue for tiller steering. Any thoughts? Should it influence my choice of boats? Thanks in advance,

Dec 23, 2007
catalina catalina22 lake tillery NC
tiller

I have sailed on both types and the wheel seems to take up too much cockpit room unless the boat is 32 or more feet, or if there are only going to be 2 people on board. I know some wheels fold yes but my family loves to sit in the cockpit and enjoy the day when sailing. The catalina 309 I sailed on was fine as it was very beemy and had pulpit seats. Just my 2 cents worth. Alan

P

Pat

I think most Catalina 30's are wheel....

steering. I have seen only one tiller boat and I think it was older (70's?). The Catalina's are know for their big cockpits so even with a pedistle & wheel there is plenty of room.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, older ones had tillers

and many converted to wheels, even before they changed the cockpit seating by doing the T seats. It's really a personal preference and you can read much more about it by doing an archive search on "tiller or wheel", but, to me, the biggest difference (besides the cockpit-room argument) is one you sit down, the other you can stand up to steer. And welcome to the 'site, glad you're here, too. :)

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
another view

I think with or most Catalina wheel arrangements (at least in the past 16 years of models or so) you may stand, or sit to either side of the wheel, much like you would with a tiller. When you make a turn with a wheel, the skipper can stand in one place, rather than having to swing up the tiller and duck under it to the other side, or walk around it to sit on the opposite side of the boat. That, to me, was a big inconvenience with tiller steering. On the other hand, I think using a tiller allows you to feel a little better the effect of the current and wind, and what the boat is doing, and respond in kind. I also know first hand that the operation and maintenance of a stern-mounted tiller is much simpler than a wheel system. There are definitely pros and cons to each. I think for comfort of the skipper, the wheel is the better choice.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Right of Passage

In my 40+ years of sailing I started small and slowly moved up over the eight vessels I have owned to date, all starting with a tiller and finally ending up with a wheel. Their is something about a wheel that instills a sense of command, control and right of passage. Their is nothing wrong with a tiller mind you, but I have always equated tillers with a smaller (27 or less) vessel. I have found that a tiller takes up too much room in the cockpit for one and can get in the way at times (outboard motor throttle adjustments or the gas tank for example). A wheel on the other hand offers other conveniences like, attached cockpit tables, engine throttle and gear controls, instrument pods, centered binnacle mounted compass, cup holders, winch and cell phone holders, etc, all nicely nested in a central location without having to mount holders, instruments and so forth around the cockpit. That in itself makes the wheel and binnacle station well worth having. It really is your control and command center............... Get behind the wheel of a large vessel with the bells and whistles and its tough to go back to stick steering. Bob '88 Mark II

Feb 25, 2007
- - Sandusky, Ohio
Personal preference

This is a discussion as old as sailing. Did you know that Christopher Columbus's ships had tillers? Anyway, I firmly in the tiller camp but, you won't find many 30's with a tiller. As has been said, most of them are older. That's not a bad thing. I think that everybody should learn to sail with a tiller first. Save the wheel for the larger boats. You said you're a "long time waterman" Does that mean you're moving from motorboats and into the light? ;)

M

montenido

Re: Longtime Waterman

Hi all. Thanks for the great replies. It certainly gives me something to ponder. As for the waterman reference, I grew up at the beach, sailed and motored boats of different sizes, also raced kayaks and other lifesaving-related gear. Avid diver and surfer, just looking for a way to increase my time on the water and share it with my family. Thanks again for all the input.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Hey Stu, What About the Sailing Websites?

Stu, Maybe you can help out here. Access under "Resources" to the "Sailing Website" where the Catalina 30 Owners Association can be accessed has been down for months! Is this site no longer available through the Catalinaowners site? Thanks Bob

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Site Has Hull Numbers and Tiller ID......

Sort of jumped the gun here! On the Catalina 30 Owners Association site, once accessed under "Resources" and "Sailing Web Sites", you can get the production chronology of tiller and wheels based on hull number. Obviously the earlier 70's production run might have been strictly tillers and Atomic Four gas engines. When Catalina went stictly to wheels (hull number) I am not sure; however, it appears this site can no longer be accessed. Good luck in your selection. Bob '88 Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.