Wheel Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tang07

Jul 29, 2007
- - Tangueray
I'm ready to go forward on a tiller to wheel conversion on my C30 and am looking for some advice on the proceedure by someone who has done it or has one in their boat. The parts are on the way so I'm working on some pre-planning. I looked at links trying to find www.catalina30.org but I get an error page. I have several questions. Can I do this with the boat in the water? This would mean cutting the rudder shaft with the shaft inside - any suggestions on tools for that? I see that Edson suggests a stuffing box/bearing to keep water out but it appears that the cut in the shaft tube will be well above the water line -- approx 10-12" so is it neccesary? My next queston is how far from the bottom corner of the rear lazazrette. I see that Edson suggests 21-27" Any preferences? Closer to the companionway and sheets or closer the the stern? This install will also create some exposed steering gear at the foot of the double quarter berth. Does anybody have any clever ideas for concealing this. I was thinking of making a wooden housing to cover the hardware but I'll have to see what it looks like in the boat. Thanks and while I appreciate the comments I'm requesting that this not be a tiller vs. wheel post. I've made my decision and I'm happy with it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
my only suggestion.....

....since I have no firsthand experience, is to take a look at as many wheel equipped C30's as possible. Simply walking around your marina and asking C30 owners to take a look might be easier than you imagine. Another suggestion would be to call the factory for any advice they might render... especially in the way of diagrams and specs for factory installed systems. Hopefully there are some others here who can offer specific answers to your technical questions. But, if it were me I wouldn't wait.... I'd have the hotline number to Edson and Catalina Yachts customer service handy.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
www.catalina30.org

should be .com I know, but they're the only ones like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.