What's this for?

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
I have this hoop about 3' aft of the mast on the bottom side of the boom, I think it's for a down haul perhaps but not sure and if so what's the purpose of the down haul? Fyi There's also a hoop just aft of the mast mounted in cabin top.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This is for a Boom Vang. Allows you to put tension on the boom to flatten the sail more in higher winds

Most are mounted near the bottom of mast as shown, but some are mounted to the deck just aft of the mast.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What Chip said. The bails are what's left of a boom vang setup. Nice to have in a downwind course.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Try to imagine how the use of a vang will work with roller reefing the main sail... o_O

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've wondered that myself on all boats that have roller reefing. Do you have to disconnect everything attached to the boom?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've wondered that myself on all boats that have roller reefing. Do you have to disconnect everything attached to the boom?
There's a special horseshoe-type roller bail made that allows the boom to rotate.

But still, whoa. :soapbox:

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Yeah, most likely for the vang. As I have mentioned a few times, roller reefing was not one of Roger's better ideas. Unless your reefed at the dock it a hassle. Invest in reef points. You'll be happier.