Whats the rule for military atolls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
I want to plan a father/son trip with my dad in the future and one place we both would enjoy is exploring the old atolls of WW2. We know there's some islands that should be avoided due to the population living there, but what about military atolls? Do they allow refueling and provisions for civilians or is it strictly a no-go military zone?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Can you be more specific? IIRC, someone wrote about his trip recently and had difficulty in either Guam or Midway, I forget which one.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I have been involved with trying to gain access for some "dx-peditions - ham radio" and in the recent past things were simply not allowed, no access, no slippage, nothing, and with the events of the past week - I can only think things will tighten up.

Most will not even "allow" repair or temporary mooring - even in an emergency.

Unless you have some in with the DOD or prior approval, you are best to give them a large seaway and keep on moving. Some are off limits due to munitions as well. Many are also wildlife sanctuaries, and again NO human activity at all.

YMMV

Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
Well, that's where I'm planning, maybe as far south as Samoa, to the Midway islands, to Guam and everything in between..

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
We lived on Midway Atoll.....

I want to plan a father/son trip with my dad in the future and one place we both would enjoy is exploring the old atolls of WW2. We know there's some islands that should be avoided due to the population living there, but what about military atolls? Do they allow refueling and provisions for civilians or is it strictly a no-go military zone?
...when it was a DOD installation. Lovely...raised two small kids there....went to beach inside the atolll daily...only people on the beach.

Now, you can visit...see http://www.fws.gov/midway/visit.html for details.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I was researching recently about Iwo Jima. As stated above, its completely off limits to civilians. I just imagined all the others were just as off limits but never inquired. Not only are their live munitions to deal with, but some, like Bikini, are simply too radioactive to allow access and will likely be so well beyond our lifetimes. And limited access to those places is just fine with me. Let those warriors, theirs, and ours, rest in peace.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I lived in Guam when my Dad was stationed at Anderson AFB. No atolls....... think Marianas Trench. The Federated States of Micronesia includes all the Marianas Islands EXCEPT Guam, which opted to remain a US Territory..... there are hundreds of islands in that new country.... and they are craving tourists....... so.. I'd go for it.... but not in the Cat 22.

There was some good wreck diving in Apra harbor when I lived there in the 60's... they found 2 stragglers in 72, and another in the 80's........ so........ be careful if you get off track.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau FIRST 42 Coos Bay, Oregon
The North Pacific has also been a thought for Us.. we'll be leaving in the spring of 2013 for Hawaii and points further west..
Our intention, along with written guides, is to get an appointment in Hawaii (on base) to go over what we can and cant do or go..
you'll be able to track our adventure on our site, (just worked it up) at SailingOnR3.com

Nov 5, 2012
Catalina 36 Mumbai
I think it is pretty safe but is off limits without proper permissions. So if you intend to go that side, I think the best option is to first get official permission and then go through the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.