Whats the going price to replace a cutlass bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AL Shaffer

We are in need of replacing the cutlass bearing on our 1987 Hunter 34. We are located on Lake Erie so she is already out of the water. Anyway what is the going price for this procedure? Also when the bearing is replaced should the motor be checked for alignment or centered? Thanks For your help!! Al Shaffer

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
1-2 hrs labor plus bearing.

Al: I had one done on our H'31 a couple of years ago. I think that they charged for 1 hour ($60-65/hr) of labor plus the bearing ($50 or so). They have a tool to press the bearing out the strut so it is USUALLY not a big deal for them. There should be no reason to align the engine unless it already needed it.

D

Dan Souther

Replace

Cutless (not cutlass) can no way be replaced in 1-2 hours unless the shaft is already out! Coulping has to be removed from the transmission coupling and then removed from the shaft. Shaft must then be pulled out with a possible prop removal and/or strut removal, depending on the vessel configuration. Remove old cutless, press new one on, replace shaft press on coupler, reattach to engine, replace prop and/or shaft. The wear on the cutless should indicate whether or not the engine is out of alignment.

L

Lee Hadjiosif

Agree with Steve

The coupling and the shaft do not have to be removed in order to replace the cutless bearing. I did it myself last year on my H310. The prop has to be pulled off the shaft, but with the proper tool, the bearing can be pressed out and new one in in a couple of hours. Good idea to align the engine, but alignement is better done in the water. Lee Hadjiosif

D

Don Alexander

It Depends!

My original bearing had a very thin wall (it was 1 1/4" OD) so no extractor would touch it. Accordingly I removed the strut and had it bored to 1 1/2". Now I can fit the standard 1" x 1 1/2" x 4" bearing using an old bearing slotted to fit over the shaft. For me 1 hour might just do it but expect 'yardies' to take double or treble!!! Its good for their wage packet.

A

Alan

Cutlass Bearing

This job is one that you can do yourself. There's a great article written in "Good Ole Boat"(I'll look up the issue) that details exactly how to do it. If you can borrow the tools, it can be done without removing the strut and shaft. Yes you need to align the engine, shaft and strut, but that job can ONLY be done in the water.

B

Bob F

Just had it done

Had the boat already out of the water for bottom paint. But the cost was 2.5 hours labor @ $65 plus about $35 for the bearing. Plus you have to figure in the cost of the haulout.

J

John Bannister

Replacing a Cutless

Just had mine done as well without the shaft or bracket having to be removed. With the correct tools could be done in less than 2 hours easily (but then job takes a yardie less than 2 hrs these days ?????).

G

Gary Henkelmann

Align In Water?

Why can the motor best or only be aligned in the water? Is there that much movement of the hull sitting on the cradle? Thanks!

C

Chris Webb

align only in water

Yes, Gary, it does make a difference with the boat on the dry. You should align the engine and shaft with the boat in the water. If your boat is hauled, you might align it then re-check with it in the water to prove it to yourself. Chris Webb

V

Victor Robert

Check yard qualifications

Ensure that the yard staff know what they are doing before asking them to change the bearing. Ask what is involved and listen closely for a competent answer. I was charged 3 hours at $65/hr for the yard to determine that they did not have the ability to change the cutless bearing. FYI - Rybovich Spencer in West Palm Beach, FL

J

Jeff

Rybovich Spencer

I find it hard to believe that they could not change out at cutlass bearing given the size of their operation. What exactly did they say was the problem and what kind of boat was it?

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Gary...the reason to align in the water

Out of the water, the shaft and prop are just hanging off the boat, subject to 100% gravity. Water, otoh, provides some buouancy--not very much...and obviously not enough for the shaft and prop to float, but enough to slow down the descent to the bottom if they fall off, which is also enough to provide a little support for the shaft and prop. It may not be much, but even a milimeter or two can matter when it comes shaft alignment. So when that slight amount of buouancy is combined with the slight amount that the same buoancy affects the hull, it is enough affect the angle of the shaft enough to make a difference in the alignment.

A

Alan

Alignment

The reason that alignment is done in the water is that the hull changes its shape out of water which in turn changes the alignment. Check some of your floorboards to see if they can be moved after the boat is on the hard. The reason that they get stuck is the same.

V

Victor Robert

RB in FL

Jeff, The boat is a P42. My Rybovich Spencer experience started with the project manager's statement that they didn't like Hunters much and went down hill from there. Although I will admit that their motto "We're expensive but worth it" is at least half true. I did not get a clear explanation of why they could not change the bearing or why other tasks were not done. The explanation of how they put a one inch tear in my dingy was also a little far fetched. Instead of "What can we do for you ?" their approach is "How may we bill you ?". In the end, I was just glad to get the boat out of there before they caused any more damage.

R

Rich Wallace

The Cutlass Bearing On A 34 Is Tough

I changed the bearing in my 83 34. The bearing on my boat is a 1 inch ID and a 1 1/4 OD. After you allow for the rubber, the shell is only about a sixteenth of an inch thick. After all the years it had been in there, no amount of effort broke it loose from the strut. I eventually took the strut off and took it home so I had a full compliment of shop tools. Where do you have the boat stored. I have a 34 at Venitian and a 42 at Sandusky Harbor.

A

AL Shaffer

Thanks to All We are at Battery Park!!

Thanks to everyone who provided information on the cutless bearing. We are docked at Battery Park in Sandusky and love it a great deal!! I will let you know the outcome and the price that we pay. Thanks Again!! Al Shaffer H34 Shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.