What's the BIGGEST Selling Point When Shopping for A New/Used Boat?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
clean is a must, simply because most buyers lack the vision to see what a cheap boat could look like with just a little bleach and a scrub brush.
Or, maybe more importantly, a seller who doesn't bother keeping the visible parts of his boat clean probably also didn't bother keeping the boat well maintained in general.

Most buyers are going to buy the boat that they can see themselves using to achieve whatever sailing goals they have set. Those range of goals vary from day sailing to weekends to blue water cruising. The attributes of a boat that fit each one of those goals are probably even more different than the attributes that make houses attractive. As an example, a big airy cabin is a great feature to someone that wants to enjoy some time at anchor or at a dock for a weekend, but a terrible detriment to someone who's going to get beat up in heavy seas.

One goal that very few buyers will have is to really want to spend more time and money fixing up problems and recovering from "deferred maintenance". For that reason I agree with some of the others above that having the boat clean and well maintained/repaired is the one key attribute that's likely to get the most buyers engaged.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Cult boats, the ones on those lists of "bluewater" boats, had a friend that ended up with a fleet that he regularly bought and sold. He'd buff it out then sell it to a beginner who'd done a lot of online research, a few years later he'd buy it back at a steep discount for wear, lightly buff and resell at profit. One I remember well was a Contessa 27 (26?) giant brightwork rudder and tiller, cute roundtop companionway but a tough boat for someone to start with. The 1 cylinder Volvo engine with a giant flywheel was enough to scare me. First buyers were a young couple lasted 2 years, most of the others lasted the average 3 years. He'd done about 12-15 boats that way, buy em cheap and beat, expend a lot of labor to make them look good, rinse, repeat. Finally just got tired, too much effort for small returns, I really think he just liked working on boats, not really sailing them, he'd been there and done that.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
You will likely need a place to slip these boats as you work on them, so don't forget to factor that cost, insurance and marina permission and so on, in to your assessment.

For me, it is condition and then price.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think it depends on what the buyer is intending to do with the boat. Someone wanting to live aboard will have a whole different criteria than someone looking for a day sailing boat or someone looking for a racing boat.
Buying, rebuilding and reselling boats would not be a good business these days. First off, it is a buyer's market and since boats are luxury items for most families, they are the first toy to go should someone be in financial difficulties, leaving you competing with someone who just needs to get out from under their boat expenses. I believe fewer and fewer young people have the disposable income to buy, maintain, and moor a boat today.
As mentioned above, one can easily end up upside down on the cost of rebuilding a boat. Beyond that, boat building is not carpentry, but a skill that takes many years to master correctly. If you change the interior too much from the original design you can change the sailing characteristics of the boat completely.
There a lot of better, less risky ways to make money, IMO.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've known one guy who did this; flip sailboats, although not for his principal income. But, he flipped only one model, the Ericson 26. When I asked him why only the one, he responded that he knew what he could sell one for in a certain condition, etc. So--worked backwards. This ($$$) is what it will sell for; so I can put this ($$) into it, and make this ($) amount on it. That is the only way it can work. Brand/Model; Price; Condition are the thing buyers will judge the boat by. A popular brand in good condition at a good price sells. You're going to need capital to do this; and I hope you're handy. However, I got the feeling that most of what he put into the boats was "cosmetic stuff." Buy it cheap, spiff it up some, then sell it. I don't think he held them long.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I'm currently in Midland (US) and about to give up most everything to live on a sailboat off the east coast. Will be near a friend who has been living aboard for a few years.

I would like to get a bit into buying/claiming and selling sailboats (or at least give them to good owners). I have a whole lot to learn and years and years of experience to gain, but the one question stands out the most.

What is the biggest selling point when your out shopping for a new/used boat?

Many think the Kitchen and bathroom are the biggest selling points for a house. I have a feeling it's not the same for a sailboat.

Please share your thoughts. I'm very interested.
Something I can sail RIGHT NOW.

I am too old for a fixer upper that I can’t sail.

We have a beautiful Cheoy lee 50’ ketch sitting on the hard and for sale in my marina. Very nice bones, blue hull, bow thruster, etc.

Rumor at th Marina was that they didn’t winterize the engine properly and cracked the block or something.

I asked the owner if I could take a look at her...and the teak decks were a mess and the fiberglass underneath was spongy. Interior was a mess, not sure that any systems worked. Sails had been left uncovered on the boom all winter. It was a real shame. I could probably get it real cheap, but I would never sail.

A real shame.

Instead, I sail my 1988 O’Day 322 that I got a deal on...and that is in good condition. I can sail her on a moments notice, keep up with the maintenance myself (on rainy days) and really enjoy her.

I was taken to the cabin on this boat, quite well equipped for a 32 footer, as well as the “futuristic” exterior and lines (ahead of her time in 1988).
6BA7B70C-01A2-403B-AAA3-78EA7C1C6E53.jpeg

She was clean and well cared for, which made her that much more attractive.

My only complaint (the Admirals actually) is that the cockpit seats are too short to lay down on.
86618851-E94C-472A-B496-4A8C817C8DDD.jpeg

I keep telling her that the Beneteau 373 has a really nice cockpit, and that I will make sure she gets to lay down on them before we buy one (usually quiets her down).

Good luck with your venture, in my marina, they auctioned off some abandoned boats (or tried to)...not sure if anyone paid for them. Some are still on the hard.

Greg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
The biggest selling point: "Does it float?"
This concept is not to be overlooked as a joke, especially if you are looking at boats on the hard, and/or wooden boats. I once made the mistake of buying a boat that was out of the water at the time of sale. An hour later, it was in the water and taking on water quickly, and I had to take it back out of the water.

Fortunately, it was a dinghy, and the total investment was $150. I was able to sell it an hour later to someone willing to do the two hours of fiberglass work it needed, and I only lost $10. It was an inexpensive lesson for me, and I pass it on to you free of charge.

P.S. There is no money in flipping boats.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
I posted this last night in the wrong thread.

I think there are much better ways to make money around boats. If you want to sell boats, become a broker. If you want to work around boats, become a boat mechanic, rigger, or my favorite, a surveyor.

I bought my boat with the intention of completing a few small projects and sailing it, but everything I started lead to another project. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying every minute. Well, maybe not every minute...the fiberglass itch is not that pleasant. And next summer I'll have it set up the way I want with new wiring, lights, plumbing, paint, electronics, and a fully overhauled engine.

When I sell, I won't get my money out, but that's not the point for me. My advice is to buy a boat you want to own, work on it while you enjoy it, then sell it when you have the opportunity and start over.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The OP was two fold as I understand it. One, the OP is planning to livaboard a sailboat on the Eastern Seaboard. Two, he is seeking advice regarding a side business to buy/sell sailboats. So advice to buy something he can sail the next day doesn't really address his query because I don't think he is looking for a boat for his personal use. I think he is looking for something that will show well after some value added improvements.
Since my Millennial idea got the dead cat bounce - how about starting a sailing school or social club in which new sailors could be fixed up with older sound boats? A friend of mine (With a degree in education) is doing this using Rhodes 19's. Successful? It's still going so....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In my opinion the biggest and most important point in buy-ing a boat...

The boat keeps the water on the outside and dry inside.

Everything flows from there.

Jul 18, 2018
Catalina C-36 Portland OR
Think functionality. Adequate sailing, floating camper/motor home. Clean clean clean. Then price per demographics and what each demographic can afford. Cost to improve is very expensive. Case in point. My boat a Cat 36 has older electronics. I could sell my boat and purchase the same boat with upgraded electronics and equipment for very little difference.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
could sell my boat and purchase the same boat with upgraded electronics and equipment for very little difference.
Are you saying that the price of the same boat would not reflect the difference in newer electronics and equipment?

Or that the cost of newer equipment and electronics is relatively minor in what goes into factoring the price of boats?

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Are you saying that the price of the same boat would not reflect the difference in newer electronics and equipment?

Or that the cost of newer equipment and electronics is relatively minor in what goes into factoring the price of boats?
I think the former. The one with newer electronics might sell faster, but it would not catch much higher price. The same applies to most of the equipment (furler, sails, upgraded winches). Potentially, if there are many similar boats around, you may see the price difference.