what's on the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2010
macgregor 26M Macgregor 26M newcastle
Is there a way of telling what kind of bottom coat is on my 82 Catalina 30. It's black , sands very easily and will come off on your hand if you rub it. I have a can of interlux bottom coat called Bottomkote XXX antifouling paint that someone gave me free, so do I just clean the bottom and put this stuff on? I tried interlux web sight but no real help. If I just put in on, it can't do any harm, can it ????

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There are lots of compatibility charts on the internet, one being on the West Marine adviser web site.
As it comes off on your hand, it is likely an ablative paint which can only be covered by another compatible ablative paint. The color is irrelevant. If the boat has been out of the water for an extended period, it is impossible to tell what kind of paint it is as most hard epoxy paints will also easily rub off.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
As Don said most antifouling will rub off on your hand. Your boat is likley like my C 30 (1980). I had at least a dozen coats of ablative antifouling paint layers on my hull. If their not peeling & flaking off U can give them a light sanding to get any sludge or barnacles etc. off. If it scomes off in chunks /sheets then it will have to all be sanded off to allow a new coat to adhere properly & fair the hull surface to improve speed.
I just finished a two month long bottom job on mine. Didn't look that bad at 1st - but the harder you look...... I have used Petit Trinidad & West Marine bottom paint. The West marine paint is half the price, & I don't think the Petit or Interlux really can last more than 2 years. After that timeframe the barnacles get so bad on the prop & running gear that the only way to get boat speed back it to haul out. Your paint is free? Go for it - don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But check your keel to hull joint for a catalina smile - it can be faired & sealed with epoxy every few years & take my advice & replace your shaft packing if in doubt. A lot easier to do on the hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.