What year was this Catalina 22 manufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob S.

I'm looking at a Catalina 22, which the seller has no paperwork for. Is there any easy way to identify the year of this vessel by the serial number or hull number?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 Age

Bob I recommend that you view c22.org or catalina22.org, the C22 Association website. They may have a year designator, like we do on our C34 website. Good luck, Stu

T

Tim

You're going to want a title...

The seller needs to provide you with some clear indication that he is in a legal position to sell the vessel - usually a title. On the title will be a HIN - hull identification number. It should also be scribed on the boat - usually on the stbd side of the transom, right up near the rub rail, although a lot of Catalina's have the number on the starboard side of the boat, very near the transom, right up near the rub rail. Deciphering the HIN will tell you the year the boat was manufactured and what model year it was, along with the hull number. As Stu might suggest :), the archives on this site will point help you to decipher that HIN - search on "HIN", or do a Google on "vessel HIN" Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

T

Ted

It is in the last few digits of the HIN . . .

The format has changed slightly over the years and like Stu said, the Catalina 22 site (www.catalina22.org) has a page about the various formats. So, you should be able to tell. The current owner should know what model year the boat is, and if you suspect a problem with that, proceed with caution. The owner should also have the title in hand available for your eyes. It may be a matter of the owner needing to get the paperwork in order. I would accept nothing less. There are plenty of C22's out there. Regards, Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.