What year and model could my Catalina be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith Perry

I have a 23' sailboat that looks like a Catalina, but is titled (Master in Equity Judgement for unpaid slip rent passing ownership to a Marina) as a Holt Allen 23. The interior looks identical to the Catalina 22, but it measures 23+ on deck. The front hatch is hinged at the top of the cabin roof. It has an outboard well. The keel is a fin with a bulb. When I first saw it 18 years ago, it had a steering vane and rudder setup, with a small side mounted wheel in the cockpit for adjustments, no tiller, and all sailhandling lines were routed into the cabin thru the roof at the mast step. The mast and all rigging are of Holt Allen mfg. The boat has no mfg's ID and the serial # on the title is from the mast. When I bought it at auction 8 years ago, several people from the Marina mentioned that the fellow who had sailed it in and then abandoned it claimed to have crossed the Atlantic with it, and had a rubber hatch cover that he could poke his head thru. If you can provide me any information or links to where I might learn something, it would be greatly appreciated. My email is Perrylawfirm@ISLC.net

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
C22?

A photo might help. Try the C22 forum: http://www.catalina22.org/ Or call Catalina: 818-884-7700.

B

Bayard Gross

This is not a Catalina

First, Catalina never made a 23. Second, the motor well is only found on Catalina 27's and possibly some older 28's, both bigger than your boat. Third, Catalina does not put bulbs onto their keels. Holt Allen is still a manufacturer of boat equipment. As to weather they made boats, I do not know. Nevertheless, the bulb on the keel of a vessel this size leads me to beleive someone may have sailed this in a mini transat, which is a race for small boats of this size across the Atlantic. You may want to look up mini transat history to find if this vessel participated in one of these races. If such, then this vessel would have more value than any Catalina of comparable size.

D

David Bergevin

Might it be a Lancer 23

Keith, Could it be a Lancer 23? It sounds just like a slightly smaller version of the Lancer 25 that is in our club. David Bergevin C22 #12454 "BADAM"

T

Tom S

Contact Holt Allen company and ask

http://www.holtallen.com/aboutus/ They did make sailing dinghy's

Status
Not open for further replies.