What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray McFadden

I have been a sailor wanna be since I went out on a friend's small sailboat in San Francisco bay about 5 years ago. I have been to every boatshow in the Seattle Tacoma area looking at the sailboats and dreaming since my pockets are not that deep. But on the company classifieds what should appear but a Catalina 22 for sale that I could afford. (No year was posted) I need your help. As avid Catalina owners, to point me in the right direction. What inspection tips can you give me? I have waited this long, I can still save the money I have to purchase a newer boat and say no. What would make you say "no thanks" Thanks

L

Larry Watkins

Buy it or no?

Ray; IF YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO SAIL, then by all means buy the C22; there's not too many deal-killers, but a few might be 1. Boat is incomplete, no rig, no keel. Also, I wouldn't buy a 22 that didn't have the pop-top. You can get the enclosure and you'll want that extra room while anchored/moored. I would prefer a fixed keel since you'll want to put it in a slip, but even at that, you can still trailer a fixed keel, although a little more hassle to launch/retrieve. Look at the top of the compression post inside the cabin and make sure there are no big cracks in the surrounding 'glass. The 22 is a great little vessel, IF YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO SAIL, otherwise, a summer with a Lido 14 should come first. Good luck.

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Lots of factors

Price would be a big one. Is it $500? BUY IT! $1500? Maybe not. The C22 is a great beginner boat if it's complete. Larry's list is good. I would also make sure there's a motor (or be willing to buy one). Do you have a vehicle capable of towing it if necessary? There is a really excellent book on surveying a fiberglass boat (I think that's pretty close the the title) that you should check out from the library or buy. As far as spending the summer on a Lido, it's not necessary. BUT...you really would do well to hire someone to give you lessons

M

MJ

I wouldn't buy anything until...

you get plenty of sailing experience sailing on different boats. Try chartering or join a club. You can get good deals that way. Try crewing in races. I would also take a good set of lessons which I have found to be invaluable. A free boat is still very expensive. You really have no idea until you own one. Good Luck.

M

Mike Turner

Watch or Do?

Ray - I think there's a lot of good advice both ways in the posts you've received so far. For me it's partly a philosophical question. You've been a "wannabe" for 5 years -- will you be content still watching, or is it time to move from watching to doing? Given your post I think you're moving into the "doing" phase. That said, assuming it's in good condition, you can't go wrong with the Catalina 22. In a lot of ways she's a "supersized" sailing dinghy like the Lido 14 and so many others, but not so big as to be overwhelming for a singlehander. There's certainly nothing wrong with the advice to hone your skills on a smaller boat, but if you've got the opportunity to buy a good C22 at a good price you can hone the same skills on her. I firmly believe you can learn all you want on her, and have the added benefits of a pocket cruiser big enough for the family to enjoy overnight/weekend outings. Plus there is the added benefits of learning about "your" boat and its systems and the satisfaction of tinkering and upgrading, which is a big part of the sailing experience for me. Given the choice between a C22 and a smaller boat, all other things being equal I'd opt for the C22. The book LaDonna mentions is likely "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey, who's a well known writer on "classic plastic" sailboat renovation and maintenance. I've got it and it's a great book. Chances are for a C22 you won't employ a surveyor (never a bad idea but the cost would probably be prohibitive in terms of percentage of purchase price of the boat). I haven't owned a C22 myself so can't give you specific tips on what to look for, but Casey's book is a great guide. I'd certainly agree that you should look for a pop-top version -- my Catalina 25 had a pop top and my family's old O'Day 22 didn't, and it sure made a big difference in enjoying the cabin of the 25 at dock/anchor. Good luck and good sailing! Mike Turner S/V Amity (Catalina 30)

H

Herb

Go for it

Go for it Ray. I was in your place until last year and then a Cat 22 became my first S/V. I used to live in your area and what i would hope for is a drop keel as a slip will cost you an arm and 1/2 a leg. With the drop keel you play all day take it home and then you can tinker all night. As for what to look for is best covered in the books that have been covered. Look for stress cracks and then make sure it is complete with all your sails and rigging. If it is your first boat you want to spend your bucks on customizing rather than trying to get ready to sail. Lake Wash will be great for a Cat 22. Happy sailing

J

Jim

Lido Summer

Aas a former Lido sailor I can say a summer with a Lido 14 in Southern California would be OK, farther north with cold, roough water, it would be a disaster for a new sailor. Join one of the sailing clubs in your area that has bigger boats you can charter once you are qualified. Check out the magazine "Latitude 38" which you can find at most West Marine stores. You can also see other boats listed for sale there and get a general idea of what C 22's are going for in the San Francisco bay area.

B

Barry Broyles

Give it a try!

Ray: I was in your predicament nine years ago and bought the boat, and have been very happy with it. My only sailing experience was on a Sunflower (a small 1 or 2 person car toppable sailboat) for 2 summers many years before. I tought myself to sail using the ASA (American Sailing Association) sailing manual and have hade a great time. Barry Broyles C22 # 1909 #Brighteyes"

Status
Not open for further replies.