what would you do with this bottom paint? (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
This is a 2001 Catalina 310. The boat was just surveyed and there are no blisters. Any recommendations on dealing with the peeling/flaking paint? I was thinking about scraping as much of the flaking paint off and then adding some coats for anti-foul paint. Add a barrier coat first?

Also, would that be gelcoat or barrier paint in the second pic?

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
matt

Attachments

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Suit her up she is almost perfect size to work under a boat. I will be interested to here the answer here cause mine has looked like that for the last 12 years the PO owned it,he scraped loose, sanded edges, and scuffed whole bottom and painted away....red

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Doesn't look like gelcoat. Maybe a barrier paint with an incompatible coat of anti-fouling paint on top. Looks like most of the anti-fouling should scrape off fairly easilly. Might try a non-metallic scraper to avoid gouging the barrier coat. The trick will be to find a compatible anti-fouling paint.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
For my $0.02 here is what I would suggest to keep the job easy, and get a good base. I would use one of the liquid / paste strippers made for fiberglass boats. We had a lot of experience with it, and for a do it yourself job, it will leave you very little sanding. (Other option is to have the bottom blasted, but if you do, find someone that uses either crushed corn cob or soda as the media not sand)

What you barrier coating looks like now is the base for a VC paint, (which was pretty standard with Catalina, and was the factory option) but at some point someone put either an ablative paint on, (what it looks like) or it could even been VC Offshore on top of normal VC paint. In either case the above treatments will remove it all. (if your using the stripper you could leave the barrier with a little care, add another coat and paint with VC,)

Once stripped down, you want a good barrier coating. I suggest Intrelux 2000e, at least two coats. You will find this a much smoother surface to put your paint on, even if using VC, as the VC tar is soft and will indent with pressure.

There are so many good paints out there, some very good ones that are cost effective you have to decide, and where you use the boat is a key factor. I am sure if you post your local waters, you will be flooded with suggestions on paint. If you use an ablative paint, use the old trick and put one coat of a different color on the entire boat, and overcoat with your color of choice. When you see the first color, it is time to repaint.

Good luck
Russ

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
thanks for the comments. The boat is on the northern Chesapeake, in Maryland.

If I scrape most of the flaking anti-fouling paint off (leaving the current barrier) can I put the interlux barrier on top of the current barrier? Then I would put an ablative paint on that. Would this minimize flaking/peeling?

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
thanks for the comments. The boat is on the northern Chesapeake, in Maryland.

If I scrape most of the flaking anti-fouling paint off (leaving the current barrier) can I put the interlux barrier on top of the current barrier? Then I would put an ablative paint on that. Would this minimize flaking/peeling?
Sorry - you need to be down to glass to put the barrier on and get it to stay on, and react with the gelcoat. If you put barrier on barrier, unless it is the same kind, you will have this same mess down the road.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
iSailor

Two years ago I asked the Intrelux rep at the boat show and followed his recommendations.............

paulj :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.