What vehicle will tow an O'Day 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Chamberlain

I recently posted that I bought an O'Day 22, we towed it from Western CT back to Newport RI with a rented UHaul and launched it the next day. I am in the Navy and will get orders this summer, so we will be relocating. My options are to (1) rent a UHaul again to tow the boat to DC (or wherever we go), or (2) buy a used vehicle to tow the boat. I was looking at a used F-150, but I discovered that it was a basic model truck, with a 2000 lb towing capacity. Can some of you more experienced folks give me some ideas, what vehicles do you use to tow your boats, and what should I be looking for in the classifieds? On the subject of my previous post - the motor is okay, thanks to all for your advice and help. I think when we pull the boat for the winter I will tkae the motor mount apart and inspect it, but it appears to be fine too.

R

Rick Webb

Get the Uhaul

You can use the the boat to count towards your partial DITY. If you are not sure about doing that go to TMO and ask them. I know this will mean nothing to 99.8% of the others out there but it will to any service member.

R

Richard Weaver

Uhaul

I agree with Rick. Get the Uhaul and don't buy a truck just to haul your boat. It's cheaper in the long run. Good Luck & Fair Winds !!!!

E

Echo Gulf

Tow Vehicle

Speaking from experience, an F150 with a 351 cu in engine and a minimum of a 3.73 to 1 differential or a Chev 350 with 3.73 to 1 diff will suffice. Don't even consider moving it any distance without an auxilary brake system on the trailer.

D

Dave

Check Archives

I recently posted a question about replacement tow vehicles for towing an O'Day 222. I got some good responses. Check the archives of this forum (keyword: replacement tow vehicle) to access these comments. They were quite useful to me. Good luck.

D

Dave Padgett

O'Day 22 Tow Vehicle

George, I fell into a deal on an O'Day 22 a couple of years ago. The tow vehicle was also my major concern. My Jeep is also rated at 2000 lbs. The previous owner tried to calm my fears by saying, "If you're worried about it, hitch it up and take it for a lap around the block. We towed it all over northern Michigan behind our Grand Am." Against my better judgement, conscience, and training in engineering, I did it. Within the first minute, it pushed my little Jeep Cherokee right through a stop sign at a rail-road crossing. No train. I'm still here. I bought the boat anyway. But before I towed it another inch, I got the trailer brakes functional. (Not great, just functional) It was then that Mark, the previous owner, said "The trailer has brakes?" God protects fools and little children. After limping the boat home. I replaced all of the trailer brake equipment. (Which happened to require replacement of the axle and wheels as well. Then I did a full brake job on the Jeep, added a transmission cooler, and some rear "helper springs". (Trans cooler and stiffer springs are a big part of a "towing package") The Jeep also has a new radiator, due to leaks, not voluntary replacement. Conclusion: With the minor modifications, that little 2-Door, 4-Liter, 150,000 mile Cherokee will pull that boat with no problems. I've towed it 400 miles in a day. I never forget that it's back there, but it hasn't scared me again. With a little empathy for your engine and transmission, and a healthy respect for physics, (Slow acceleration, Stay out of overdrive, slow turns, and increased following distance) you should be o.k. The addition of an infant daughter to our crew, has added a 4-dr Explorer to our fleet. Rated at 3500 lbs, I'll be transferring the brake controller this summer. Bigger is still better. Best Wishes, Dave THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS PROFESSIONAL ADVISE. NO WARRENTY IS EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. BLAH, BLAH, IF YOU SUE ME YOU'LL SOON LEARN THAT I HAVE NOTHING WORTH TAKING, BLAH, BLAH, AUTHOR HELD HARMLESS LEGAL STUFF.

C

Charlie on "KESTREL"

2000# Rating

I tow my C22 with a Chevy S-10 4.3 L 2 wheel drive pick up. As others have mentioned the 2000# tow rating ,I believe that this refers to the step bumper rating. I added a class 3 hitch that bolts to the truck frame and have had no problems towing a combined weight (boat, trailer and all sorts of gear) of near 4000#'s. The trailer has functional surge brakes and I don't go very far (15 miles to the ocean, once in and once out). My little truck does well, but the ramp I use is fairly new and the condition of the ramp could change the vehicle needed to get out. For any distance I would add the trany cooler. Good luck!

G

George Chamberlain

Thanks for all the great replies...

You guys have helped me out a lot, especially the suggestion to check the archives...there is actually a reply there from a guy in the RV business whose web page has an index of towing capacity by vehicle type. Thanks to all of you for sharing your insight. I think the best thing for me right now is the U-Haul option, at least thru this next PCS move with the military.

R

Rick Webb

Don't Forget the Partial DITY Move

If you can get enough heavy stuff together you could walk away with a few bucks to boot.

B

Bill

You can partial-DITY just the boat and trailer too

Moved a Capri 14.2 a few years ago that way--drive my own car and got paid for the boat and trailer. I mention this in case you decide you need the truck for other reasons as well...good luck. Bill

G

George Chamberlain

Probably will do partial DITY

After a little more research I am thinking that renting a UHaul may be better anyway, in that the weight of the towing vehicle will be so much more than the boat & trailer. I'm just not looking forward to humping my personal property into the truck. On the other hand, it will make the move more "comfortable" - can bring more stuff, and more high-value suff that we really don't want the movers to break again. The only downside is, most of that stuff is things like racing bikes, jewelry, silver, great grandma's dishes - doesn't get the weight up enough to pay for the move. The Navy describes the cost of moving a boat as a "shared expense", by the way. they only contribute what it would have cost them to move the equivalent weight of HHG. Another factor, we are looking into boatyards & slips in DC, and if I get 2 tours there it may be easier just to have the yard pull & launch the boat each year anyway.

R

Rick Webb

Good Luck With the Move

The only way I would go back to DC is at gun point. I do enjoy visiting it is a truly remarkable city, but only for a week at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.