What Upgrades Have You Done To Your 310??

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod

Hi All, Just rying to get a little action going. So what have you done to upgrade your 310. I'm adding davits this spring... -Rod

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
C310 upgrades

Here is a link to the upgrade/repair page of my website. All the items were done during commissioning or soon after. I've made some small changes since then, which I can mention later. I'm real interested in the details of adding a starting battery, and combining house batteries on the C310. I've always wanted to do it, but haven't thought of the perfect way. I hate drilling holes or making permanent changes unless I really have to.

R

Rod

Starting Battery Was Easy

I basically removed the two 4D's and slid a group 27 starting battery in. It's situated in a stem to stern profile against the centerline edge of the battery compartment. It fits nicely in between the fiberglass of the seat and the 4D's. Then all you do is connect the battery 2 hot and neutral to the starter and battery 1 hot and neutral to the 4D's. All you need to do this is two 16 inch jumpers, one hot and one neutral, to combine the 4D's and a group 27 starting battery.. I'm heading up to the boat today I'll try and snap a couple of pics... Oh yeah and your link was missing???? -Rod

Dec 30, 2005
- - Nassau Bay, TX
310 upgrades

We purchased our 310 in late May and have been learning a lot. The boat was lightly used and had been inactive for about a year before we purchased. Below are a few things we've done to make things easier: Installed a Garhauer lifting davit for outboard motor, since our outboard is a 4-cycle, 8HP unit and weighs about 55 pounds. The 6-to-1 purchase on this unit makes hard work a snap! The thread-on fuel filter had never been changed. It was mounted on the bulkhead so close to the exhaust elbow, that the only way to change the filter was to unbolt he filter housing from the bulkhead. We carefully measured - then installed a Racor 500 turbo filter, resulting in a much better filter and easier filter changes. We also added a fuel cut-off valve at the filter, so crawling back to the tank valve is not necessary for a fuel filter change. Pro-Mariner charger died and damaged 1 4D wet cell battery. Our buddies wanted us to install a big Heart/Zantrex charger/inverter. We decided to forego the cost and complexity of installation. Installed a Zantrex Truecharge 40 charger. Works great. Upgraded batteries. Tried to put in 4 6-volt golf cart batteries to acheive weight savings and cost per battery. The inexpensive wet cell 6-volt units are too tall to fit the battery compartment. AGM 6-volts work, but I was looking at some fiberglass work to make everything fit correctly. Changed to 2 4D Lifeline AGMs. The expense of AGMs is startling, but they provide very good performance and low self-discharge. Soon, we're adding a Link 20 battery monitor. Upcoming projects: Wire a starting battery and perhaps change battery swithing components. Install a water accumulator tank. Every time we open a fresh water faucet, the pressure pump runs. Stereo upgrade. Our Sony tape deck works, but the AM/FM does not. An IPOD may be a great way to go. A fellow 310 owner down the dock has added XM satellite radio receiver.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Missing Link

I guess I was up too late last night. Here it is, hopefully. Thanks for the battery upgrade description. Pictures always help also.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Looks like it's not my fault.

Must be a bug. I'll type it here http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jobawhite/c310upgrade.html

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Accumulator option

You mentioned adding an accumulator tank. Have you checked out the variable speed water pumps? Almost inaudible in operation. I was totally impressed at a boat show demonstration. I don't remember if it was the Shurflow VXD or the Jabsco Sensormax, but I think either one would be great. They cost more than an accumulator, but are a simpler solution, and you may never hear a pump run again. The motor runs very slow to fast depending on how far you open the faucet, so no pulsing. I’m going to get one when I get some money. They’re about $240.

R

Rod

Starting Battery Photo

As promised I snapped a picture of the starting battery. I also posted a bunch of pictures to the 310 photo gallery showing the alternator install and battery upgrade. Click "related link" below to see the other pictures..

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
C310 Battery Compartment

Rod, I’m not sure how the batteries are installed in your boat, but I don’t think I can get a third battery in my battery compartment. But I do love your wiring scheme. Couldn’t be simpler. That’s exactly what I want to do. It’s just the physical layout I need to resolve. See link for my battery compartment. Comments? http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jobawhite/battery.jpg

R

R.C.

Turn The 4D's To Run Fore

If you look in my picture the batteries came from the factory laid out fore to aft and yours are laid out port to starboard. I bet you could turn them and fit in a group 27 like I did. It should be easy.... -R.C.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
I kind of guessed

It was hard to see from your close up view, but I'd heard that there has been some variation in battery mounting on these boats. I know they do things a little differently in Florida, as opposed to California were my boat was built. They may have changed the battery compartment to a larger extent than meets the eye. I will need to take measurements, but I'm guessing that even if its possible to turn the Batteries, they would still take up just as much space. They also sit in a built in tray, which may add complication to the turning issue. I'm afraid that I'd have to add a battery box just forward of the present location and add or change more wiring than you had to do. I don't want to add a battery towards the stern to avoid adding weight there. I'd like to hear from anyone with one of the earlier boats like mine, that has done this modification.

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
310 built in CA????

I took the Factory tour in Largo FL while my Hull was on the line back in 2004, My understanding was FL built the 310, 350, etc and CA did the 30, 22, 34 36 etc. I don't think any 310s are built in calf-the Hull mold is in FL. Ken The link is to my websire on the 310

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Yes California

Ours is hull #40 March of 2000, built in California. All of the first C310’s were built in the California factory, I’m not sure of the hull numbers, but I think the molds were shipped to Florida in late summer of 2000’. The impending move was known when our boat was built, but it took a number of months to accomplish. I get a kick out of looking at the differences in the boats in subsequent years. Not sure which changes were because of being built in Florida or just natural evolution.

R

R.C.

Ken I Like That Trailer....

If you don't mind me asking how many boat bucks did a trailer for a 310 set you back and who made it? Is it a Triad? I have a wing keel 310 and would love a trailer! -R.C.

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
310 Trailer

R.C. Don't know. It belongs to my dealer. When the boat was delivered they moved it from the semi to that trailer for comissioning-and then craned her into the water. Ken

Jan 24, 2006
Catalina 310 Hudson, FL
Fuel Filter Retrofit

Noted your fuel filter upgrade and have a couple of questions. 1)Is this the primary or secondary filter? 2) Where did you locate the filter? I just bought a new 310 and love almost everything Catalina has done, except where they put the primary filter. You have to field strip the rear compartment, remove all cushions and do a contortionist act to even get at the damn thing - let alone R&R the beast. Just can't believe they put it there. Would love any pictures or info on the installation you might have. Also, love the idea of the shut off valve at the filter, that's also a long hike to get at. Happy for anything you may offer. Don Skipper - Time 2 Cruise

Dec 30, 2005
- - Nassau Bay, TX
More on fuel filter

I will have to get my photos together - I have been having computer trouble. I'll take the camera to the boat this weekend and get back to you next week. The old thread-on primary filter was bolted to the bulkhead under the engine cover. I carefully measured this area and was able to fit the bigger Racor 500 unit in the same place, but moved a bit more to the centerline of the compartment. The engine-mounted filter is on the starboard side of our Yanmar 3GM30.

Status
Not open for further replies.