What type of brakes on your trailer is best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Lantinga

I am planning to buy a MAC 26X. I was wondering which type of brakes one should use on the MAC trailor? I will be sailing in salt water and on fresh. Also is the one axle on the Mac trailer good enough or does two work out better and safer for high milage traveling? Anything eles should I consider doing to the trailer unit? Thanks New sailer to be!

B

Bob Lantinga

I am planning to buy a MAC 26X. I was wondering which type of brakes one should use on the MAC trailor? I will be sailing in salt water and on fresh. Also is the one axle on the Mac trailer good enough or does two work out better and safer for high milage traveling? Anything eles should I consider doing to the trailer unit? Thanks New sailer to be!

R

R Kolb

Electric and Two

Well my Catalina 22 trailer has no brakes and one axle but I don't tow very far. From what I have learned brakes are a very good idea and usually they are electric brakes that connect to your car. My guess is they are drum brakes. As far as axles go two is better then one because it spreads the weight and a blowout wont be as dangerous. I know you like to go fast, hence the Mac 26X, but do not drive fast towing a boat. A 26 foot boat and trailer weigh quite a bit and, even with brakes, will be hard to stop and control in an emergency situation. Also make sure your car is up to the towing. Our boat and trailer weigh in at about 3500 lbs and we tow with a GMC Yukon. I wouldn't want to tow with something much smaller. Finally, salt water is very corrosive so after you launch and retrieve your boat be sure to give the boat and trailer a good rinsing with fresh water. Randy

R

R Kolb

Electric and Two

Well my Catalina 22 trailer has no brakes and one axle but I don't tow very far. From what I have learned brakes are a very good idea and usually they are electric brakes that connect to your car. My guess is they are drum brakes. As far as axles go two is better then one because it spreads the weight and a blowout wont be as dangerous. I know you like to go fast, hence the Mac 26X, but do not drive fast towing a boat. A 26 foot boat and trailer weigh quite a bit and, even with brakes, will be hard to stop and control in an emergency situation. Also make sure your car is up to the towing. Our boat and trailer weigh in at about 3500 lbs and we tow with a GMC Yukon. I wouldn't want to tow with something much smaller. Finally, salt water is very corrosive so after you launch and retrieve your boat be sure to give the boat and trailer a good rinsing with fresh water. Randy

G

Gary

Brakes

I have a Mac 26D. The trailer has drum brakes with a fresh water wash adaptor. The single axle is rated for 3,500 lbs. I have hauled this boat all over the country with no problems. I change out bearings every 10,000 miles and the original brake shoes are still on. So far I'm on my 4th set of bearings. I purchased my rig new in 88.

G

Gary

Brakes

I have a Mac 26D. The trailer has drum brakes with a fresh water wash adaptor. The single axle is rated for 3,500 lbs. I have hauled this boat all over the country with no problems. I change out bearings every 10,000 miles and the original brake shoes are still on. So far I'm on my 4th set of bearings. I purchased my rig new in 88.

Jun 15, 2004
- - Edmond, OK
Electric vs hydraulic

I think you will find that, in general, trailers that will routinely submerge their axles (i.e., boat trailers) wind up with hydraulic brakes, whereas similar size trailers that routinely submerge their axles (i.e., horse trailers) have electric brakes.

Jun 15, 2004
- - Edmond, OK
Electric vs hydraulic

I think you will find that, in general, trailers that will routinely submerge their axles (i.e., boat trailers) wind up with hydraulic brakes, whereas similar size trailers that routinely submerge their axles (i.e., horse trailers) have electric brakes.

R

R Kolb

Mike, how does it work?

Mike how does a hydraulic brake work? Is it electrically powered? My trailer used to have a special hitch that compressed when the car braked and that powered the brakes. Is that what you mean? The hitch was all rusted up so we had it removed and replaced with a standard hitch setup. Randy

R

R Kolb

Mike, how does it work?

Mike how does a hydraulic brake work? Is it electrically powered? My trailer used to have a special hitch that compressed when the car braked and that powered the brakes. Is that what you mean? The hitch was all rusted up so we had it removed and replaced with a standard hitch setup. Randy

D

Dave J, the A-21, StarShine

Hydraulic (Surge) brakes for flexibility

I keep the original surge brakes for three good reasons. *First and foremost for the flexibility. We have several members of our sailing association here that have lighter boats and have no brakes on their trailers. We all support each other quite a bit and that oft includes towing someone else's boat to the lake at times. With surge brakes one doesn't need and electical brake controller installed in the vehicle. *Secondly I see many electrical brake systems fail due to being repeated submerged in the water. And *third for the simplicity of maintenance should any repairs be necessary. My boat/trailer combo scaled at 4060 Lbs last time I weighed (boat loaded and configured to cruise off shore) and that was only the trailer axles. The figure did not count the approximatly 300 to 400 lbs tongue weight. I routinely pull trips (round trips) of from 2,000 miles to 5,000 miles.

D

Dave J, the A-21, StarShine

Hydraulic (Surge) brakes for flexibility

I keep the original surge brakes for three good reasons. *First and foremost for the flexibility. We have several members of our sailing association here that have lighter boats and have no brakes on their trailers. We all support each other quite a bit and that oft includes towing someone else's boat to the lake at times. With surge brakes one doesn't need and electical brake controller installed in the vehicle. *Secondly I see many electrical brake systems fail due to being repeated submerged in the water. And *third for the simplicity of maintenance should any repairs be necessary. My boat/trailer combo scaled at 4060 Lbs last time I weighed (boat loaded and configured to cruise off shore) and that was only the trailer axles. The figure did not count the approximatly 300 to 400 lbs tongue weight. I routinely pull trips (round trips) of from 2,000 miles to 5,000 miles.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Hybrid Brakes?

Has anyone reading this ever used hybrid electric/hydraulic brakes? I once saw them advertised in a boating magazine. They use hydraulic brakes, activated by an electric switch up in the cab that runs a pump you can put up high on the trailer. Seems like it would have an advantage over haudraulic of being able to back up without having to release the surge activator and maintain the advantage of the electrics re/underwater problems. Probably has a cost disadvantage.

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Hydraulic, Disk...

The trailer provided with the MAC 26 will provide good service if you take care of it by rinsing it off after salt water dips and painting or touch up as needed. For brakes I like Hydraulic Disk brakes. They are easy to rinse off after saltwater dips. I changed my drum brakes that were rusting out for disk brakes. The link will provide info you need to add brakes or swap to disc. Fair winds and roads... Tom

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Hydraulic, Disk...

The trailer provided with the MAC 26 will provide good service if you take care of it by rinsing it off after salt water dips and painting or touch up as needed. For brakes I like Hydraulic Disk brakes. They are easy to rinse off after saltwater dips. I changed my drum brakes that were rusting out for disk brakes. The link will provide info you need to add brakes or swap to disc. Fair winds and roads... Tom

A

Arlyn

hydraulic surge brakes

Hydraulic boat brakes have a very bad rap because a typical system rust internally within a couple years and failure follows rust quickly. The rust eats up the cups within the cylinders and causes the plungers to stick and the cylinders to leak. It doesn't have to be this way however. The rust can be avoided by a three step approach. 1. synthetic fluid 2. closed system with diaphram cap 3 aluminum cylinders Synthetic fluid is wise choice for a boat trailer...it doesn't absorb water which causes rust within the system. The actuator should also be a closed system type having a diaphram cap to further the effort to keep moisture out of the system. Going with aluminum actuator and wheel cylinders is also a good idea. Stainless steel disc brakes for boat trailers initially got some excitement because of the lack of exterior rust. Normal disc brakes do not work for intermittent use because a rusting rotor will eat the pads up very quickly. The stainless disc brakes do run hotter than drum brakes because there is no spring to retract the pads from the rotor as the shoes do on a drum system. It is claimed that a hot hub when immersed causes a negative pressure drop within the bearing cavity area and allows water in... If the extra heat accentuated that...then disc brakes might have a drawback. Any one know if the extra heat is really an issue? I have read one report of a disc brake user who was unhappy because of sticking problem after a hard braking. I don't recall hearing what the ultimate problem and solution was.

Status
Not open for further replies.