What type hose....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all, so replacing a few hoses and wanted to get recommendations for my engine cooling seawater intake hose. Current 1” wire reinforced trident.... was going to just replace with same however did a google search and loads of different hoses come up some with different colors.
Thanks
Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Use a wire reinforced hose rated for below the waterline use. The wire is necessary to prevent the hose from collapsing from the pumps suction. I tend to go with Trident hoses.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
The wire reinforced hose is preferred. We have removed the wire from the first inch or so on each end to make a softer clamping end for the double hose clamps. I hope other members might comment on that choice.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Yes without a doubt wire reinforced.... Just started seeing so many different types (rubber/ silicon) when I went to purchase didn't know if there is a new preferred and thought I would ask. Sort of like the sanitary hoses..... changed from the traditional Trident to Raritan which is reported to have better hose properties.

Thanks
Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Any quality marine chandlery will carry marine grade double walled wire reinforced hosing for below the waterline in various applications. The wire helps to keep the hose from kinking when making tight turns or bends. I've always had good experience with Defender.