What type grease on a through-hull ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich

I read somewhere that the ball valves in through hulls should be greased while on the hard. Any ideas what type grease is best?

G

George Fletcher

Pool Pump Grease

I have used a very light coating of the grease used to libricate swimming pool pump valves. It is a blue, waterproof grease, and it has worked well for me in the past.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
the best

There's a somewhat new product which delivers white lithium-type grease in an aresol spray can. It's nice because you can shoot it past thru-hull strainers up into the seacocks themselves. (Use the straw that comes taped to the can.) Don't remember the brand name, but it's something they sell in the yard where I haul out.

P

Paul Akers

teflon grease

It's available in 4 oz. container from Starbrite and is available in the chandlery and can be spread with a brush while the valve is closed. I use an acid brish with an extension. Grease from inside and outside the boat. Then work the valve handle back and forth.

R

Rich

Spray on Lithium

The guys that do some of the service work on my boat told me they use a spray on Lithium grease. I assume it's the same thing john is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.