What to do about the slope of the sole

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
As those of you with a Catalaina 30 know, the slope of the sole is quite pronounced near the vberth and head. Has anyone done anything about this? I was thinking of making a wood deck that would fit the curve to make it a bit more level, plus raise it up some so I don't have to climb into the vberth any more.

Jun 24, 2014
Kayaks for now, oday coming soon 13 Waterford, CT
The only thing you will accomplish is to eliminate any headroom you may have.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
As those of you with a Catalaina 30 know, the slope of the sole is quite pronounced near the vberth and head. Has anyone done anything about this? I was thinking of making a wood deck that would fit the curve to make it a bit more level, plus raise it up some so I don't have to climb into the vberth any more.
Interestingly, there was a run of Catalina 30s made in and around 1987 that did just that. I owned one (hull #4928). It was a MK-II model with the T-cockpit. They flattened out the sole, which reduced the headroom. I liked it just fine because I'm just under 5'8". Apparently it was not popular because they reverted back to the curved sole later in the production line. (I.e., not all of the MK-II models had the flat sole.)

All I can say is, I definitely preferred it but I could see someone who is taller not wanting to give up the headroom.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The easiest "trick" I have seen is to get a small plastic step stool if you're height challenged getting into the V berth. Others have been successful with small wooden blocks/steps or even creative fold-out steps.

Your boat, your choice. :)