What to do about Microwave ovens??

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Undewood

Ok, I shopped til I dropped. Found all kinds all sizes and finally settled on a GE... 650 watts and .6 cubic size. Opened her up and found in the intructions.. "not for marine use". So, whats that all about? Has anyone purchased, used or destroyed a microwave oven aboard a sailing vessel. I have a 1982 Hunter 33 and I am fitting a microwave oven for her, but why spend $130 PLUS for a oven sold by a marine outlet when I can buy a nice GE for about $55.00. Soooo, do I go for it, or not? What has been the experiences of other sailors? Help me save money, not sink the boat.

G

Dave, I had a Sharp from Walmart on my boat

for 6 years with no problems...also on Lanier. The caveat against marine use mostly has to do with lack of protection against salt air corrosion, which you don't have to worry about.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
who cares about replacing a $55 micro?

Dave: but who cares about replacing a $50-60 microwave every couple of years (if that is how long they last). I think you will find this warning is like the warning on the dry cleaning bags (do not put over your head). I would recommend that you unplug it each time you leave the boat. It is probably not going to have any type of fused protection. Did you check any other models for this type of warning? I think that most of these cheap microwaves are probably all made by a couple of offshore companies for the major manufacturers. If you find another one with the warning just exchange yours for another make/model.

G

Actually ALL "household" microwaves are cheap now

I think I paid $79 for my 650 Sharp at Walmart, and that was 6 years ago. It's the "marinizing" that runs up the price. I hard-wired mine into an 115v outlet circuit...turning off the breaker when I left the boat solved any potential fuse issues.

J

Jim Cook

AC/DC you-pick-em

Was the marine-type oven AC/DC? Just curious. Last May, I say an AC/DC 600 watt microwave oven at Cherokee Truck Stop (Big Cabin, OK). I had never thought about a DC microwave oven before, but it would be useful for truckers. (It was about $125.) Do you plan to get your AC from shore power, generator or inverter. I would be concerned about power fluctuation from a generator or inverter adversely affecting the magnetron. The DC voltage can be regulated easier than AC so it might be better. Of course, while on shore power, you could run it on AC. JimC "Dream Chaser"

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Go with AC version...

Household appliances are pretty well protected against current fluctuations. If they weren't, we'd be replacing 'em after every thunderstorm. But about the only ones that seem to be affected are computers, TVs and answering machines...nobody ever puts kitchen appliances on surge protectors and they last forever.

W

Warren Renninger

Watch wattage

I've had a cheapee on boat for a year. No problems. If you run it off an inverter, watch out. They draw almost 2.5 times the advertised wattage at startup.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
2nd on Inverter Concern

I'd like to 2nd Warren's comment about running a microwave with an inverter. Our house bank is four golf carts and we have a group 27 start battery and use a Heart 1000w inverter. The inverter is rated for continuous use and can handle higher power outputs for shorter durations. However, when we run our Samsung 650w microwave the inverter appears to struggle based on the audible sound it makes whereas on shore power there is no problem. Our wiring is all 00 marine grade with short runs to the inverter. Since the microwave is an electronic model (recommended) a lower power setting in 10% increments can be selected, a nice feature, which is a good work-around to avoid overtaxing the inverter. Lower power settings up to 70% were okay as far as I could tell, it just takes a little longer. The microwave is a nice convenience to have along.

D

David Undewood

Thank you everyone

Thanks to all, I got more information than I hoped for. This is truely a great resource for us Hunter owners. Think now I'll cook up some potatoes!

F

Frank Walker

Not so Fast

David, I think the issue is with the type of timer. There have apparently been some problems with solid state timers failing in a sea enviroment and burning up boats. The mechanical timers should be a better bet if you can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.