What the heck is this?

NOLA

Dec 19, 2021
Catalina 22 New Orleans Lakefront
Have had this catalina 22 for several years. Yesterday I got into it and there were reddish liquid droplets on the underside of the hatch. It has been wet in New Orleans and if it were clear (or even a little dirty) I would have taken it for just usual condensation, but the red color is baffling.(I have not done any painting or sealing in the last several months) Any ideas?
Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 8.40.38 AM.png

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Pirates were aboard when you were away and someone cleaned up the floor but forgot to clean the champagne off the roof. Don't worry be happy your problems are just another point of view.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Seepage from hairline cracks from a wet core in the pop top? Condensation that is being discolored by the last cleaning concoction used?
Strange that it has appeared only after a real freeze the other day?? I dunno

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've seem mold that was red in a boat that had flooded with rain water. I think dLj has the right idea
That is what I was going to say.... I see red mold around spigouts (faucets and shower heads) often in the Charleston area and the weather here is very similar to NOLA

If the water were relatively warm during a cold snap then the water touching the hull would have kept that air in the cabin warm (and wet) compared to outside.... so condensation on the cabin top (where it is cold) would be expected during a cold snap. Think of it as the opposite of what happens when it is very hot out and condensation occurs on the hull that is below the waterline.

NOLA

Dec 19, 2021
Catalina 22 New Orleans Lakefront
Thanks for the responses. The boat soap we use on the deck has a red color, but have noty given the deck a bath in several months. Definitely not using antifreeze in the cabin. (and have an electric motor). The mold is an interesting idea. I'll keep en eye on it, give the inside of the cabin a good cleaning, and then wait and see if this happens again.

May 21, 2013
Hunter 410 Stuart
I have seen red spots on epoxy as a result from an exess of hardener in the mixture, reacting wirh humidity. You would notice a slightvspecific scent from it.