What temperature should the Deisel Engine run at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Senator

What is the optimum temperature that my Deisel engine should be at ? I have a 1999 Cat 36MKII with 85 hours on the engine (Universal M35B) and it runs great, though I have a feeling that the temperature is a little bit on the low side. When anchored and I'm running the engine to charge the batteries and heat the hot water (6 Gallon Seaward hot water heater) all the temp on the gauge says is maybe 160F even after about an hour (ambient temperature is hot humid 85F and water temp was 79F). Also my hot water never gets more than warm in these conditions even if I put more load (In gear &low speed reverse on anchor for 15 minutes). A freind I was rafted up with gets his hot water after idling for 15 minutes (he has a larger Nissan engine) and he says a deisel engine temp should be running at a constant 189 deg F. Mine never gets above 170F even when I'm motoring under full load for a while. (though under these conditions the hot water will get hot) Anyone else with newer Cat 36 or the M35b engine experience the same thing? Do you get hot water under idle at anchor? What is everyones engine temp? Do you think my new engine and Thermostat is stuck open or is this just normal? Could the engine run more efficienct (better MPH) at the higher temp?

M

Mark Johnson

I could never get hot water at anchor..

the engine would never get hot enough without a good load on it. If I ran for an hour charging batteries I was still taking cold showers. You've got to put them under load to get hot water. 170 degrees sounds about right. I've got a Yanmar and it runs all day at 175 degrees.

D

Doug

How about some load

If you have a mooring bouy or trust your anchor well enough, why not run it in reverse at 1500 or so for a bit a try that out. Remember that idling diesel engines without load is not good for them anyway. Doug

T

Tom Senator

Doug, I tried putting a little load on the engine

for about 15 minutes at anchor and it still doesn't seem to heat up the water. (I put it in reverse) Is 160 deg. F about what you get for idle temp? What about running temp? Does your hot water heat up?

M

Mark Gale

Temp

The 21hp Universal diesel in my C30 runs at 160 to 165 and has done so on runs of up to 85 miles. Compared to all the horror stories I've heard of people overheating, I've never worried about it. It pops up to 190 to 200 quick enough when weeds clog the raw water intake.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Load Has to Be a Factor

While I'm no expert in this, but based on recent experience, I'd agree that the load is probably an important factor. It is possible that the thermostat is not closing all the way and not allowing the engine to heat up at low load/RPMs. But if the engine block disipates the heat before it gets up to temperature it will never reach operating temperature. My Yanmar thermostat is set for 165 degrees and it takes a good load to get it there. At lower loads, especially at idle, it takes much longer to reach the operating temperature of 165. Prior to changing oil at the dock I turn on the hot water heater and this really helps to speed things up. I don't have the shop manual available but I'll bet the thermostat has to open before it will circulate water through the water heater.

L

Larry Youngman

M35b operating temp

My '98 Universal M35b runs at same temp you describe, and has since it was new. And water in hot water tank gets plenty hot if running under load at 1800 rpm. Read your motor manual for info.

R

R. Palaia

My M35B hits about 170 also

I never tried to get hot water while idling, but after motoring under load the water is so hot it will burn the skin off your bones if you're not careful. Roc

Status
Not open for further replies.